my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Scroll down for Sunday Memes [Sunday Stealing & Unconscious Mutterings]





Just call me one of those "Flower Girls" --- you remember way back when, the song; Flower Girl...flowers in her hair, flowers everywhere? Well, I don't necessarily wear flowers in my hair [I did when I was vacationing in Hawai'i. LOL]...but I AM GETTING flowers everywhere! In my yard, that is...and I'm lovin' it!! And I received more a couple of days ago!! This collage of six to the left are from the 'net when I went out after my 'job' was done, so I could see what they're gonna look like when they bloom..

I betcha wanna know from whom, right? Well.....

This past Friday afternoon, when I went out to our mailbox, I got a huge surprise from one of our blogger friends....some of you know her...Dawn, at "Call Me Grandma Dawn" -private blog-! We have an area of the USofA in common. Colorado. My 'home state' more or less. That's were I grew up; that's where I raised my family. Of course, there's a whole lot more in common besides just the state...but, I have a feeling this is going to be a long post so I won't list anything more.....Anyway, the package was a huge manila envelope!! I was so excited to see just what was in it...I had NO IDEA! I love surprises. When I got back in the house, I rushed to my desk and reached for the letter opener....all the while trying to guess what it had in it. Dawn knows from leaving her comments when she had photos of her Spring flower gardens, that I LOVE iris. Well, you guessed it...six rhizomes!! Each one a different color!!! Ho boy....Heaven, I'm in heaven.....iris. My dad, IN Colorado, had iris all over the front yard. Bud's mom had iris in HER front yard!!! In Arizona, I never had any, and always wanted to try them....never did. Now that I'm down here in Texas, I've seen iris bins in the Home Depots around here and Lowes Home Improvement. And I told Bud that someday soon, I'm gonna make me a special place for some iris!! First thing Saturday morning, we drove to Home Depot and bought some more landscape timbers for a new flower bed. I had planned on planting them in a temporary place in the stone flower bed, but Bud said "If you're going to make a special flower bed for them in such a short while, why plant them for a month or so, then transplant them...let's just get the new flower bed built now" I couldn't argue with him. When it comes to something like this, with the help of HIS labor....I don't argue!!! I wanted to put the iris where I had planned... along the south wall of the exterior of the home....there is a space of landscape gravel that is just too barren for me. And it stretches clear the entire length of the house. Once we got home with the lumber and lag screws needed [I wanted the flower bed done up just like the small area we did this Spring...where my pelicans and palms are, along with the birdbath which I blogged about earlier this year.] Got 80 pounds of garden soil...the landscaping timbers and took them to the back yard...we were set to begin. When Bud finished putting them all together after he measured and cut, I then opened the soil bags and went to work, planting. I added a little water pump and a pot...which I think I will add some blue stone to make it look like 'water'...perhaps even glue some of the blue stone in a 'string' like fashion to make it look like the water is shooting out of the pump. Who knows just how it will be finished off....I have to think more on that. I do know that I will eventually put in two more smaller flower boxes of the same design on either side of this one. But, the six iris are planted. After it was all cleaned up, and job done, I came indoors and looked up the names Dawn had written down for me...BEAUTIFUL!!! Now, I can't wait. I sure hope they survive!!! By the way....Irises bloom early here..I've seen 'em bloom the end of February a couple of times --guess it depends on how protected they are from the elements. I'm so excited...I just can't hide it!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU DAWN!!! It was such a lovely, generous gesture!! And, I so appreciate you thinking of me! I feel very privileged that you'd send them. I'm very beholden to your thoughtfulness. And may I add, I'm so very happy that you named them before you sent them...that was a super idea.


<><><>




Question 1: Who do you think is the hottest movie star?

Reason #1...he's sooooooo anti-Hollywood!! I like that in a star. And, for that he'll prol'ly burn in H E double L, if it were up to the CEOs of the Academy...in fact, they've most certainly told him that already at sometime or other because of his 'stance' against the town!!
If only he wouldn't bring in such a lovely sum for them....you wouldn't even hear of him, I'm sure.




Question 2: Apart from your house and your car, what is the most expensive thing you have ever bought? A loaf of bread, a bottle of wine and thee. No wait...gasoline!! Ya, a tank of gas these days [at $2.50+ per gallon] is something I would never have dreamed in a million years. Why, I can remember buying gasoline for the car when it was 35₵ a gallon.

Question 3: What is your most treasured memory? Too many to even list...but I can tell you that my youngest brother claims he can describe the blanket my parents bundled him in when he was born! Eerie concept, huh?

Question 4: What is the best gift you’ve ever received as a child? Bike...and I still have the best scars to prove it.

Question 5: What is the biggest mistake you’ve ever made? Getting addicted to memes...which I'd never heard of two years ago. Why if someone were to say memes to me two years ago, I would have sworn they were practicing for a vocal, singing, duet.

Question 6: Give four words to describe yourself. Well, I'm NOT seventeen!!

Question 7: What was your highlight or lowlight of 2008? Dunno...Seriously, thing is they come and go all the time...and I don't keep track of 'em. Why? Live for the day...don't dwell on the yesterdays.

Question 8: What was your most embarrassing moment? When my boob fell out of my blouse....Kidding!! I knew that would get you all cranked up. Around here, that's called a "gotcha".

Question 9: Tell something not generally known about yourself. Shhhhhhh, it's a secret.

Question 10: If you were a comic strip/cartoon character, who would you be? Opal, from Pickles. I'd have to be!!! 'Cause Bud is the spittin' image of Earl; character-wise!!!! BOTH Earl and Opal are retired fuddy-duddies. And cute to boot...yep, that's me.




<><><>




1. Delayed :: flight
2. Irresponsible :: unreliable
3. Stupendous :: superfluous
4. Barcelona :: Spain
5. Solution :: solvent
6. Simplify :: easier
7. Crumble :: erode
8. Podcast :: playlist
9. Conversation :: word exchange
10. Homepage :: Hootin' Anni's [of course!!!]









[photo of J.D. courtesy of Google Images & comic strip from Washington Post online]

Posted: August 16th, 2009
5:40 A.M.

21 comments :

  1. Have a lovely day, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that story about what you got in the mail.
    I remember when gas was 35 cents. We use to pile into the car on a Saturday night and get gas, the newspaper and free stuff from the gas station. LOL.

    Have a great Sunday!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/08/nancy-rocks.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah you got me there with the boob falling out. LOL. happy SS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni,

    So glad you received the iris in the mail. Yes, Grandma Dawn provided your surprise. I never thought it would arrive so soon. Terrific. I can't wait until they bloom in the spring. Hope you remembered not to plant them too deep. Just so the roots are covered.

    Looks like Bud did a great job on the new flower garden. He seems to be so handy. Mmm! Maybe I need to borrow him...just kidding.

    Enjoyed your Sunday Stealing, especially # 8. Gotchas are fun and the Unconscious Mutterings are great too.

    Hubby and I took a drive yesterday by ourselves and ended up in a very pretty area. Photos on my blog. :-)

    Have a wonderful day, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a hilarious meme! I believe I am addicted to them also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Opal from Pickles, she reminds me of one of my aunts---have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, remembering the blanket you were wrapped on is really eerie. he has an eidetic memory?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder when can gasoline ever be cheap again. Fat chance now. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. no doubt Johnny depp is kick ass!!

    wow you have neat answers!

    i hope u do find time to check mine out!

    MY BLAME TARA MEME

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your responses. You can think on your feet, old girl :-). Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to see the iris process - they look beautiful right now, and will be fabulous in the early spring down there - can't wait to see them! The names are official names given to them by somebody official. They are from my friend who has over 100 varieties. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Annie,
    Thanks for stopping by.
    loved your response especially "Live for the day...don't dwell on the yesterdays."
    happy sunday
    love & ((hugs))
    bindi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure when memes made the transition from postal mail to blogs...but wow, how different. I used to think my friend who did memes through the mail was crazy for spending so much time/postage on it...but now I spend so much of my blogging time on them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is always a pleasure reading your Sunday post.
    Lucky you with your Iris. They don't demand a lot of attention. We brought some from the other house and just stuck them in the ground by the fence. They're still alive. They are my favorite Springtime flower, too.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Anni! I have been following through the blogosphere posting right after you on Unconscious Mutterings posts. It's been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the flowers and your Star is the bomb! I like him for the same reasons you do. Excellent SS. Hope you had a good weekend :) Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Putting these posts together makes an enjoyable read ~ Thank YOU ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. everyone is answering Spain to Barcelona. What else could we associate with anyway? lol.

    love you answers to sunday stealing. made me laugh. and oddly enough my childhood scars though they are pesky reminds me of how fun it was being a kid and its not too bad to play and enojy life even if were all adults now.

    i second that, meme´s are addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like your answers! Interesting to go from stupendous to superfluous on #3. I thought of the 1992 Olympics for #4 because it was watching those Olympics that I first got into watching athletics, and also I love the song 'Barcelona' by Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Cabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds to me like you had both a fun and productive day yesterday. Cute Meme answers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. aaaah, johnny depp, totally dreamy! and the best possible answer!

    and be sure to show some piccies of those iris' once they up and bloom will ya?!

    ReplyDelete

.