my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds







Click either button to Join


[the pink arrow shows you the bridge & Port...where I'm standing taking underneath photos]

I know I've showed you and blogged about this bridge before. It's such a distinctive scene from the city-scape. When you get downtown, from most any street, you can look to the north and see it. But, I thought I'd show you a bit of what's 'underneath the bridge' this time....as we came home the other day, once again we had to cross the ships' channel....over Harbor Bridge. These first two views are from the cellphone as I was driving. And as I stated, there is a LOT to see from the underside of the bridge; from both sides of the waterway. [Selena Auditorium, the Bank Center, the Art Museum, the Science and History Museum, the Port itself where ships navigate to dock and unload their wares, the ball field, many many restaurants, the Aquarium, etc. etc. etc. ]

The photo below is one of the many huge stanchion supports at ground level on either side of the channel. There are several. I never thought to stand by it to show their colossal size, tho. Wish I had. If I were standing next to it tho, I'm 5'4"...the top of my head would still be "Under" the caged fencing you see surrounding the connectors.



The last two photos are...
the first photo, the bronze statue that is at the actual PORT of Corpus Christi. The buildings...where all the tabulations and goings-on along the ships' channel are reported and recorded [a very noisy area...horns, docking noises, machinery, the traffic vibrations on the bridge above us, yelling....], and the 2nd photo, a huge foreign oil tanker leaving port going out to the bay and then into the Gulf waters at dusk....



According to the internet with Google searching, the Harbor Bridge is 74.7 meters high....that's approximately 245 feet!! And going north from the city, there is an intense drop...a high degree incline. Like coming down off Eisenhower Tunnel into Denver on I-70 -danger! level [If you've ever driven there]! Going 'into town' FROM the north, there is a more gradual descent. But, a lot of automobile accidents occur...only 'cause of their speed and the steep incline.


For the Sculpture:
    Artist: Roberto Garcia
    In honor of the 500th anniversary of Columbus' voyage to the New World, the Quincentenary Commission commissioned this statue of Christopher Columbus. Christopher's first journey took just 33 days, but it was to change the outlook of the world forever. His exploration in 1492 led mankind on a path of discovery that has never ceased to challenge and surprise us. Facing eastward, larger than life image symblic of courage, determination, vision and faith. There are hints of French sculptor Auguste Rodin in the statue's impressionistic surfaces and oversized hands. The proper right points to the west and the proper left clutches a glove of the world.




ADDENDUM 6:45 a.m.: I finished blogging for the day, and sat down to begin my usual visiting and reading from my Blogger Reading List...you know, when you follow a blog, how from your own dashboard, you scroll down and see the list of blogs you follow? Well, this morning...it was BLANK!! And it states I'm not following any blogs! I had many, MANY blogs I've been following in the past months since Blogger started the gadget for us.......now it's gone? What the heck happened? I went out and cleared my cache [from a suggestion at the Blogger Help Forum], rebooted my browser and still no list of blogs I follow! I'm bummed!!!! Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did you ever get it back? I tried to begin re-adding, and THAT isn't even working. :::sigh::::
Posted: August 12th, 2009
4:30 A.M.
[aerial view photo at the top courtesy of "CC Port site"]
[area photo of Eisenhower Tunnel....more photos HERE]

25 comments :

  1. Beautiful shots! I love that first one and the sculpture is also great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like a bridge person! I wonder if you have been across the Mackinac Bridge that separates the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. It is the 3rd longest suspension bridge in the world. Twice a year it is closed to traffic, and you can ride a bike across, which I have done several times. It is unbelievably windy on there.

    Great tour of CC's points of interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou A bridge person, I'm not. I have Gephyrophobia, also known as bridge phobia!!! I still get sweaty palms driving over bridges...not so much the low, concrete bridges...it's the iron trestle bridges like the one we have to cross here all the time. I have become a bit more relaxed, but still very tense! To this day, I CANNOT go beyond the last step of 'ground' at Canon City in Colorado where the Royal Gorge bridge is. No sirree!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting to hear about things I will never see. Your pictures are very good. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy to see the attraction you have for this beautiful structure. I've often wondered how they think of these things.

    I'm sorry about your list and that I cannot help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bridges like this are so beautiful to look at. However, driving over them scares the daylights out of me.

    So, that would make this post great because I can enjoy the beauty with none of the risk.

    Thanks for visiting Hospitality Lane!

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning, I have crossed that bridge many times, Roy's sister lives in Portland and we usually stay in a B&B in Corpus.....great pictures. A friend of mine was there this past weekend and said the bay was beautiful. Her grandaughter is going to teach in West Osso(?).

    Have a great day.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty blog. I enjoyed my visit. Thanks for coming by mine as well. :)
    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dear Anni, Love your new Header,

    Nice clear photo's of a place i will only see from my comfy chair Im a very nervous nelly going over large span bridges yet I cross our traffic bridge every time i go bowling and think nothing of it maybe because its not a high bridge and u can see the other side of it .thank you for sharing. ill be back soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann, what a very interesting post, I love to read about these things and your pictures are nice also. Can you just imagine the look on the explorations face when they first gazed upon our land without any homes or skyscrapers to disrupt their view, it must of been a sight to behold. Thank you for coming by, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it fascinating to look underneath with a camera. Things our eyes never really 'see' are so beautiful, sometimes.
    I've had my blog list come up blank but I've just left the site. When I come back it's been all there again. I've never had any Blogger issue last longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing photos of areas I've never visited. And all of the information you included was great.
    No, my list is there this morning but I have had crazy things like that happen. Hope its temporary.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't mind driving over bridges but I will NOT walk over bridges! That bridge you have there really is quite fascinating and I so enjoyed seeing your pictures. It really does boggle the mind at how huge these things are as you mentioned of the stanchion supports! I'd love to be able to watch a bridge like that being built piece by piece!! I also enjoyed reading the story behind the Christopher Columbus statue. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos, Anni. Sorry I can't help with the disappearing list. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beautiful photos. I especially like the first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni,

    I love these posts when you show us points of interest in your area. It allows us to see parts of the world that we may otherwise miss. Interesting photos. That oil tanker is HUGE.

    I will check my dashboard and see if the blogs I follow are there. Haven't had trouble with that before but have lost things on other sites only to log in later and find them there once again.

    Enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. the minds that figured out how to build bridges, are fabulous minds indeed.

    my blog lists have disappeared too in the past, but thankfully that returned as mysteriously as they disappeared...

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a very, very beautiful bridge! And those are some wonderful pictures you took! LOVE it : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful and thank you for sharing. I'm so glad that I have seen these in person :) You captured all of this well :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing those. I love pictures of waterways and bridges, especially unusual bridges.

    Did you recover your list of blogs? I had that happen. After I logged off, turned off the computer and waited overnight, then rebooted, everything had returned. It's a good thing because I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise.

    http://blondesherry.blogspot.com/2009/08/ww-they-won.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing! I love to see the interesting places where other bloggers live. Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know what you like about autumn. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great thing about blogging all of the things you learn. Thanks for being our eyes. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There is something magical about bridges that draws you in. I wanted to make a suggestion. You might consider changing the comments setting in blogger. The default embedded setting makes it more difficult for some people to leave a comment..like me. If you choose pop-up, it makes it easier...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.