my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



TAILS - "In Five Years"

Today it's HEADS OR TAILS time [RUBY TUESDAY below this]....I'm asked to write about what life will be for me, personally, in another five years. Well, first thing comes to mind is United States Social Security Act that was formed in 1935. It was set up to benefit those who work outside the home [at the time, men only but has changed to include all workers of either gender] at an old age. A regular savings account that was drawn, in part, from your wage earnings. Now, in five years I'm eligible for a full S S benefit, right? WRONG!!! Go figure. When I began receiving a regular pay check in the early 1960's I actually looked forward to someday collecting from my hard earned savings the government took from me each week! At the age of 65!!! But---- They've changed it over the years...I now have to wait another whole year to receive full eligibility! Yep, it's been changed. According to all the mail I receive quarterly from Social Security about my wage earnings over the years and kept up to date ..each quarter the government sends me an up-to-date earnings. Big whoopty do!! When I began working outside the home and drawing a pay check, the retirement age for women was 62 and for men 65 [and I thought THAT was backwards also...afterall, women statistically live longer; it should have been the other way around...men die sooner, so THEY should have been eligible at 62, not women!] Okay, so in five years I WON'T BE RECEIVING FULL Benefit. For me, and my birth year, the SSN isn't worth diddly squat 'til I'M 66!!! Or, at least that's the law now...who knows what will happen in the next 5 years of my life------



[screenshot from Social Security Home Pages]

In fact, the S S may indeed go 'belly up' and all the money we citizens have paid in throughout our working years may no longer be there for us. So many unfair practices have evolved through the years....and we're constantly told 'It's just not there anymore'. For one reason, you wonder why?.....the government continually takes the money away from us, hands it out to those who haven't worked ONE single day in their lives...while the workers continue to be taxed. I just don't get it. But, I'm not going to lose sleep over it either.
    A retired gentleman went into the social security office to apply for Social Security. After waiting in line a long time he got to the counter. The woman behind the counter asked him for his drivers??? license to verify his age. He looked in his pockets and realized he had left his wallet at home.

    He told the woman that he was very sorry but he seemed to have left his wallet at home. "Will I have to go home and come back now?" he asks.

    The woman says, "Unbutton your shirt."

    He opens his shirt revealing lots of curly silver hair.

    She says, "That silver hair on your chest is proof enough for me.", and she processes his Social Security application.

    When he gets home, the man excitedly tells his wife about his experience at the Social Security office.

    She says, "You should have dropped your pants, you might have qualified for disability, too."






<><><>

My Choice of Color for Toenails...Ruby Red on Tuesday!!!





Join Here

and


Join Here




Posted: July 28th, 2009
5:30 A.M.

47 comments :

  1. I just gave myself a pedicure. I still have to put polish on. hmmm...maybe red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, first off: Pretty feet :D!
    Love the anklet too :)

    Second, like in Germany, I doubt that in a few years there will be anything left.
    Everyone wonders that I'm not paying into the system (I would have to do so privately, since I'm not officially working).
    I keep my fingers crossed for you though, that it all will work out and you'll get your hard earned benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heee heee heeee, at least you see the sunny side to disability, eeerm, sorry, social security....

    and i think your ruby red is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Annie! Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Your are such a hoot. I loved this one. I could just see someone dropping their pants in the SS office. I figure by the time I get there to draw SS there will be nothing left. I am 52. The polish selection was a great one. Thanks so much for sharing, and for making my day. I come her first most every morning just to see what you have been up to. Have a wonderful blessed day. Country Hugs, Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlet-painted toes,
    as everyone knows, belong
    to “painted women”!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for making me laugh this morning. By the way, your feet are lovely my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have red toenails too! I should have posted that photo. :) Great thinkin'.

    My husband and I were talking about SS just this weekend and how by the time we are of age to draw it, that it will probably not be there to draw. It's a sad, sad situation.

    Thanks for stopping by My RT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha! Love the Social Security joke. Though maybe the joke is on us, eh? At this rate, we'll all be standing behind the counter at McDonald's with our walkers - "Would you like fries with that, sonny?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magical That's me...painted. And probably a bit tainted too! :::snort:::

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruby Red toes seems perfect for Hootin' Anni!

    And as far as SS, as they say, you ain't seen nothin' yet! "My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."--Barack Obama
    Evidence of evolution gone bad!!!

    Don't get me started...Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to start my day with a smile and you've done it again my friend. I'm a terrible joke teller but I'm going to try to pass this one on to some other folks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy The S S age eligibility was changed long before Obama. But I see your point on his blunder...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the toe-nails. I'm very lazy about nail-polish! I admire it on other people but I can never be bothered with the up-keep!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That reminds me I NEED a pedicure!

    Great post on SS! I've got 15 years to go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know the SS really is bad. I guess they figure the more men die the more money they have. They forget there are more women than man. Back when it was set up less women Worked. Love the anklet, I love wearing those also. Red Toe Perfect for Ruby Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with your SS analysis! And the disability joke was great :) Love the anklet and the red nail polish - bold and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have been on SS for about 10 years now. Bill drew it at 65. Being 4 yrs younger, I didn't plan to sign up. The man suggested I go ahead and draw too. So, I did. Not full pay but when I turned 65, it went into full force. One thing about it...it is right there, on time and no missed payments. I worry about my kids and grands...will there even BE a SS by the time they need it?
    Loved the joke!!
    Ruby red toenails and a cute ankle bracklet....can't be beat.
    O, and i love your old photos on your sidebar..
    Thanks for coming by...pls. do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah ... I could RANT for hours about the way Social Security funds were used by Congress to pay for stuph ... (seeking to make the budget LOOK semi-balanced) ... filling the FUND with IOUs that will never be repaid (if at all) with the kind of compound interest the money would have earned over the years ... and now BLAMING others for their own sins. Sigh! Yes ... I could rant for hours but it's too exhausting and doesn't so anyone any good.

    I do love your red toenails and lovely anklet. Thanks for dropping by HRG this morning. Hope you have a delightful day ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol, good subject! Wish my feet were worthy of a photo! Great RT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm heading up this week to start getting a little bit of SS money - every little bit helps! But I do worry about the future of that benefit.

    I would never never never take a picture of my ugly feet - I so envy people with nice feet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gday Dear Anni.
    Love your red nails.. My Girls always paint there nails winter and summer, But not me but I do love a nice pedicure. makes you feel like your walking on clouds..Oh did I say I loved your anklet. and hope theres something left in the pot when its time for you to collect S.S.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a really sexy feet you got there! Happy RT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a cute story about SS.

    I hope it works out for all of us.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes pretty feet- Almost always my choice except if they break (which seems to happen in the pool a lot) and then I wear nothing on my toes or a light color

    ReplyDelete
  25. We have the same with the pensions. You work all your life and pay your taxes and just get a little money and the once who never worked get almost the same.
    When I retired the age for women was 60 and for men 65, now it's for everybody 65. I just slipped through before they changed the law.Had to laugh about the silver hair, !
    Nice ruby nails!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was all set to leave a comment about Social Security not being so secure anymore.. until I read your joke. I should let my ex know about that disability thing..

    I worry about your next HoT post with the theme "size." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of course, you would have red nails. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL that is so funny. I will have to pass that on to my mom. She will get a laugh out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni, You are so right... It is scary to think that by the time we are to collect it may be gone. BUT I did get a huge chuckle with the joke... It was so dang funny.

    Have a great day!
    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great RT post, cute tootsies too. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such cute toenails! Great RT post. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Neat feet! Tidy red. SS - don't get me started. Oh, too late. I have SS but let me tell you about a law that went into effect shortly thereafter...oh, never mind. Thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  33. well this depressed me..majorly! LOl I hate to even think about the SS problems.

    thanks for stopping by my page and leaving a comment on song lyrics! :-)

    Lis that your feet?? where do I get that ankle bracelet?????
    Hugs L

    ReplyDelete
  34. very pretty pedicure
    the ankle bracelet is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOL...dropping trow in the SS office good one. Great RT as well my friend :) Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice clever shot - red toenails and bling!
    Happy Ruby Tuesday!
    Loved the joke.

    ReplyDelete
  37. i love red toenail polish. perfect to show off those feet during summer! great take for the ruby! thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have got awhile to go before SS. You have given me a lot of hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh good one - and how very true, one never really knows what's down the road. You're fairly close at least. I wonder if there will be anything left when we 30-somethings arrive - guess we'll hope for the best! By the way cute sandalfeet! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This Govt has just put the retirement age, for men and women, up to 67. I can see why...people are staying in the work force longer and as you say, are living longer, especially women. Anyway, this new retirement age will come in gradually over several years, depending on birth year. I was lucky, I was able to retire and collect the pension last year at 63 and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  41. We have the same problem with our country's SSS. Hmmph! they have a lot of crap. Anyway, I really like red-colored nails:) Always find them, funky and sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Red toenails on Tuesdays - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for that SS education!
    That joke is too much!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Difficult to think 5 years ahead at our age.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love Ruby Red nails too! They just look so pretty peeking out of the sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ruby nail polish, perfect!

    My entries:
    Moms... check nyo
    Yummys-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  47. They're so pretty! Happy RT.

    ReplyDelete

.