“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Sunday June 21st, 2009
4:45 A.M.



--To skip my complete Sunday chat & photos blog,
AND view only my Unconscious Mutterings, CLICK HERE
--OR to view only my Sunday Stealing Meme post CLICK HERE



<><><>



[Bud says it's a caracara, I think it's much too large for being a caracara! More a bald eagle size ---we were about 1/4 mile away from him. The Southern Caracara has a striped breast...this was too solid in color. Look to the bottom, left center --taken from the car/road]



Yesterday morning, before sunrise, Bud and I drove about 30 miles from home and crossed into the National Park....Padre Island National Seashore. It was a most beautiful drive! No one on the highway, and when we got to the visitor's center [of course being so early everything was closed] and parked...we walked to the seashore. Best thing ever!-----no one was on the shore either! We had the whole Gulf Coast to ourselves!

When I woke up Saturday morning it was 84 degrees {Fahrenheit}. That was about 5. I quickly got the kitties fed, and showered and got dressed to go on our excursion. The time of complete silence except for the waves and the birds singing was something we both needed. To take a long, quiet walk and reflect on our week past. We didn't even talk...it was more or less giving way to our silent thoughts and mixed emotions of Leah's passing and just how fragile life is. We walked about an hour and a half one way along the shore with the wave action beating on our feet. The warmth of the sun coming up and a new day beginning was all we needed. The serenity of the beach when you're by yourself is quite healing.

By the time we got to the pilings before entering a camping area along the shore, we had walked over a mile [they have mile posts along the dunes] and I stopped and combed the beach for shells. The tide was too low and the current didn't wash many ashore, so it wasn't too fruitful. Bud stood by the pilings as I searched the sand for 'goodies'. At one point, I looked over at Bud and he motioned for me to come forward and see what he found. I traipsed toward him all the while looking down at my feet in case I spotted a super keen shell; found a few, but nothing worth noting, except for a beautiful stone that just may be the Texas State Stone ---The petrified palmwood. I need to do some more researching online before I feel more positive tho...

...anyway, by the wooden pilings, on the drier side, there were two of them. Two rays! I thought they were utterly creepy. Being that they were mutilated [someone had neatly clipped off the 'wings' of both!] And being that they were drying up ...it wasn't too pleasant. You'll need to enlarge the photo, but fair warning, it's not really all that enjoyable unless you have the curiosity of a cat. The 2nd one was nearby, at the next wooden piling. I was wondering if someone caught these and brought them ashore, or they got stranded too close to the beach when the tides shifted.


But after that, our silence was broken. We talked while we began walking back. Now, the dunes to the west of the shore are more or less off limits. There are warning signs all over the area to stay on the beaches and being more a protected area for wildlife such as foxes, coyotes, deer, bird nesting, oh...and SNAKES...they advise you to not enter the dunes. Which I gladly oblige. The whole concept of snakes makes me leery of getting even too close to the beginning of the dunes!! But, while walking back, we moved closer to the dunes and followed coyote tracks...I enjoyed viewing the 'artwork' of the shifting sands ---

Of course, with snakes on my mind as we traversed way too close to the grasslands, this lousy booger jumped out of the hidey hole and made ME jump outta my pants [not literally, figuratively speaking]....darned critter. As he stopped to eyeball me, I snapped the photo. All the time, I heard a faint snicker...he was laughing for the fact he knew he scared me more than I scared him. After I got over the shock/fright, he was delightful to watch as he skimmed the hot sands from one hiding burrow to the next.

When I came upon a small clearing without much vegetation and no wooded area...I climbed a dune. Yep, you heard me right the first time. Hey, it was an open area. Trust me, I DID keep my eyes to the ground and even tho I know there are rattlers and coral snakes out in this area, I wanted the wide open space for me to view. I'm sure they would have been in the open, warming up from the cool evening...using the sun and warming sand to heat 'em up. So, I quickly snapped this photo, and then another...



The quiet walk along the shore, in the early morning, was very therapeutic!!

COMMENT HERE if you'd like to skip over
my Sunday Meme Participation





<><><>


Join Here

Sunday Stealing: The Finish The Sentence Meme

1. I've come to realize that my last kiss...was to 'say' goodnight to Bud.

2. I am listening to...the air conditioner hum while Winston is snoring as he sleeps on the entertainment center that is next to the desk.

3. I talk...way too much; probably.

4. I love...shopping, blogging, reading, baseball, eating. And not necessarily in that order.

5. My best friend/s...is many, many miles away from me in Colorado.

6. My first real kiss...was in 4th grade. Me and Bobby L!!!

7. Love is...a lifetime gift.

8. Marriage is...the best thing that has ever happened to me.

9. Somewhere, someone is thinking...about fighting wars and protecting a country. [sad state of mind that I think of this first off, isn't it?]

10. I'll always...be smiling 'cause I'm generally a happy person.

11. The last time I really cried was because...it was heartbreaking.

12. My cell phone...is laying on the desk as the computer is reading the photo chip to upload them for my Sunday post.

13. When I wake up in the morning...I check the outdoor temp from the atomic thermometer. It was 85 today and not even 5 a.m.!!!!

14. Before I go to bed...I read if I can.

15. Right now I am thinking about...how to complete this sentence.

16. Babies are...the future.

17. I get on Myspace...

18. Today I...will water plants outdoors to try and keep them alive during the heat/drought, cook something, and will watch baseball on TV.

19. Tomorrow I will be...a day older than I am right now.

20. I really want to be...just me!!

~...END Sunday Stealing

COMMENT HERE to skip over
the Unconscious Mutterings below






32 comments :

  1. your beach walks... lovely. the sights, the smells no doubt, the closeness i feel. have a good sunday, and happy father's day to bud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie.
    Sorry yo hear that you are so far away from your best friend. I hope that he or she visits your blog to see how you're doing.

    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/sunday-sunburn.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blog ... love your mutterings and thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myspace that's probably outdated (or hopefully not me I fear its not the 'in' thing)

    Hey thanks for stopping by.

    See you next SS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answers to nos. 7,8, and 10. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures this morning. I felt as if I was walking along with you. That looked like a bald eagle to me - from what I could see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooh, these are fabulous. i have neighbors that "winter" in San Padre Island. you are a very good photographer and your stories are wonderful with these pictures. i felt i was walking right beside you. now wouldn't that be a hoot?

    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm liking these questions. think i'll join in. you & i are alot alike and i like you to boot!!!! wow.

    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, I enjoyed reading your blog today. We matched on a couple (Tammy Wynette, leathernecks). Wish I'd thought of Lizzie Borden and The Beav.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful walk you were able to take in solitude, with Bud and your thoughts. I know it was therapeutic for you both. I love walking on the beach when I get a chance. In Georgia, we were privileged to be very much alone there one morning as we photographed the sunrise.

    It's fun to get inside your head!

    Have a great day - the heat, though! We have one nice day, then a rainy one - we've forgotten it used to be like this before the drought, which seems to have broken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hootin' Anni, Thanks for your comments on my words... It's my first time. Like your Blog, great pictures of days gone by...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fun meme. Glad I tried it. I like Leatherneck, being ex-forces myself - though not Marines.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for stopping by my meme!

    I really enjoyed reading your answers! It is do cool to get to know someone better by reading the thought that they probably would not have shared if it wasn't for the meme!

    don't forget to check out
    http://mondaycrazyquestions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed reading your answers. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni,

    I enjoyed your tour of the beach. How peaceful it must have been so early in the morning without anyone else there. Balm for the soul and just what you and Bud needed.

    Enjoyed your Sunday Stealing and Unconscious Mutterings. Hope you and Bud are enjoying a relaxing day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa. That is mighty warm for the morning.

    Fact: You are indeed a day younger.

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What lovely pictures today, Anni. I hope that the quiet of the beach will help Bud deal with his sister's passing. Hugs and blessings to you both...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shame on me...I should have thought of Leather~Necks, my son is a Marine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree. It looks like a bald eagle to me, too.

    Loved your mutterings. Mine are here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great mutterings! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ducky? Ducky is a doll, Abby is too, McGee is a geek, Tony is suave and Ziva is a beauty and most of all, I like Jethro, woot, woot!

    I looove NCIS :)

    Thanks for dropping by Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That walk sounds like absolute bliss, Anni. As you say, very therapeutic and healing. What was the critter that jumped out a laughed at you? I couldn't quite make it out.

    Anyway, I love the photos of the sunrise and from the sound of it, it would have been a lovely warm time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed you mutterings. I had different one. I need to play again. I think I'm about ready.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Erma Bombeck quote just above the comment box reminds me of another quote: "It's better to wear out than to rust out."

    Love the beach pictures. I agree: there's nothing quite like time on an uncrowded, "inactive" beach - just the waves, the birds and such.

    Sherry at EX Marks the Spot

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the show Leave It To Beaver, great mutterings :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great Sunday Stealing. I really enjoyed the read. I love how you crossed out 17 LOL. The pictures were also wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I like that Unconscious Mutterings...I might have to do that Aloha :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. hehehe lol we love the same stuff except baseball. i have never gotten into sports in my life :)
    great answers b.t.w.
    mine's HERE

    tc

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks for the 'link' to sunday stealing ... i'm playing along there now as well

    love reading all the differet responses

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such an awesome walk you had, enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  31. How I would have loved to walk along that beach with you, especially so early in the morning, the best time:-) Loved seeing all the pictures. So sad, though, about the rays...how could someone intentionally mutilate them like that:-(

    Enjoyed your Finish The Sentence meme...like you, I'm generally a happy person and always have a smile on my face. Only problem is people wonder what I'm up to with that smile! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aw, 8 is sweet =] have a nice day ^^

    ReplyDelete

.