“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
5:10 A.M.


Join Here

EDGE - "Any Past Theme"
Make any kind of post using any past theme! as your prompt.

- - -

I'm going to do this one from the past list of prompts:

#70-December 23-TAILS-Tell why (or why not) you like this time of year [but it's all about Spring since it's May now]
    In the Coastal Bend of Texas, Spring is most enjoyable. You have mild temperatures, wonderful sea breezes moving ashore, the dormant flora comes to life again, the birds and all their activity abounds. I'm awakened fresh each morning with the sound of Mockingbirds [Texas's state bird] singing me a song just outside my window. The air is most always clear [it's never polluted because of the prevailing winds from the Gulf], as is the sky most always, clear, deep blue and brilliant. I can sit outside in comfort and look up and watch the huge billowy clouds moving swiftly --and I do mean that they move swiftly across the air!, flowers bud and come into full blossom. People you meet are in a great mood, always smiling and friendlier this time of year. There are sounds in the distance of yard work being done, neighbors are cleaning up after the short, balmy winter. It's like the whole world is awakening from a short two month's nap [winters are mild and short in time here]. And not to forget baseball!-------opening day of baseball season.....to hear the crack of the bat at it makes contact with the hard rubber sending the ball into a grand slam....one of the best sounds of Spring!!! So many things about Spring that makes one feel life is good!!!


More photos---
Roses in blossom [two top photos]
Center-the CC Hooks Ballpark [Whataburger Field].
Pelican statue & Purple Bougainvillea [two bottom photos]---






Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.

Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.

And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.

For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill.

Robert Frost
Prayer of Spring
1915

16 comments :

  1. I think no matter where we are in the world, the advent of spring fills us all with hope, that better things will come.
    We are in early summer here; they say it will be a hot one this year. Last year we had so much rain!!!

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw texas' temperature by chance on tv the other day, and they looked just perfect... and that poem. that poem. what can i say. the man can write...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you like spring as much as I do! I put up a picture of spring tulips. I hope you will visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the sluggish computer this morning! Will look forward to seeing you later, maybe.

    Spring - I've posted about it a lot this year. The flowers are the best I can remember in a long time. Must have been those crazy wet snows we had. Spring is too short and frustrating here in the Rockies, as I've said before. But when it's good, it's very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do what you have to do, Anni. We'll be here when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    It's a beautiful day here today. Got the boys to school on time and then took Dakota for a walk. Spring is one my favorite seasons. (The other being fall) It's a time of rebirth.

    Wish you could have been here this morning. The baby cardinals were learning to fly away from their mother. One little one was sitting in our large tree, letting Mama know where he was. They were calling to each other. He was a beauty. I watched him for a long time.

    Enjoyed your photos and Frost's poem. Have a wonderful day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot - when you come over, you'll enjoy a bit of Corpus Christi many years ago ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is the best time of year in my opinion. You wrote a great description of why.

    I joined back in with Head or Tails this week.

    I'm loving not being at work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post! Spring is an inspiration and your photos are glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring was doing well over here, until this week. I think it's forgotten who it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anni! Thanks for adding me.

    I'm just in from work. Sweet hubby cooked dinner for me - spaghetti. I'm so very tired this evening. I really need to get out of this chair and do something. I'll think about it...LOL

    I'll try to come back and visit you later.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring is always slower in coming over here but when it finally arrives, it's my favourite time of year. There's such a sense of renewal and after a long Winter, Spring just makes my heart sing:-) You really do live in an ideal part of the world...having a short Winter is something I would love to have!!! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I may be way over here in Michigan, but my internet seemed really slow today, too.

    I like how you took a theme from Christmastime and turned it into the warmer days of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For me too spring is the most beautiful season here ! Everthing is blooming and the world around me full of colors !
    If you get some time I went to a scarecrow festival in Brussels, what a creativity ! I showed them in my tuesday's post.

    ReplyDelete

.