my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
5:08 PM


LONG and OPINIONATED POST!


I have to get my thoughts and emotions written out today...like a personal diary for me, for now. Yet another state in this union passes widely, by high margin votes, allowing gay marriages. Now, once again....or should I say STILL, I wonder just how anyone...be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim or any religious sect ...even consider this wrong in the first place. And for that matter, just HOW can anyone say 'no to homosexuals' and it's okay to act 'unnatural' with your heterosexual partner? I'm going somewhere on this, so bare with me. It's beyond me...Let God sort it out...he's the maker, we're not here to judge those with sexual preferences that differ from me or you. [and I recall the 'separation of church and state' is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." The phrase 'separation of church and state' is generally traced to an 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists, where Jefferson spoke of the combined effect of the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. Which is more than likely the cause of such hearings and votes...we're mixing religion with the freedom of happiness] There is NO WHERE in the Bible that has any statement by God against same sex marriage. But wait before you try to correct me. I realize that the world's sacred texts are silent on the question of gay marriage, as it was not really an issue when they were written. However, those same texts do have strong opinions on homosexuality itself. But only in the procreation of man. The first is that homosexuality is wrong because it involves sex that doesn't create life as God willed us from the 'get go'. The male body and the female body are designed for sex with the opposites....right? In the case of Judaism, a key Bible passage is the story of Onan, who sleeps with his dead brother's wife but, to avoid giving his brother offspring, doesn't ejaculate inside her. God's disapproval? The Catholic catechism decries homosexual acts because "they close the sexual act to the gift of life." In other words, if you don't procreate as God intended, it's all wrong. Still another factor comes from this teaching --heterosexual oral and anal sex. Is this too, then, wrong in the minds of the devout? Which brings me to these thoughts: With production of "the pill"—or, really, even earlier, when birth control became common. We've been into the non-procreative sex thing for some time now. Even most religious conservatives don't have the heart to go after this. If sex without the possibility of creating life is wrong, then religious leaders would have to go back to warring against masturbation. And what about sex among the infertile? Or sex among people over 70? Better yet, those who oppose same sex marriage [again, remember there is nothing in the Good Book that condones or condemns this conception] consider it unnatural. Have you ever seen animals....male and female have 'homosexual conduct'? Yes indeed...but hey, wait a minute, is this not double standards then? You happen to witness a male dog and another male dog and they're 'gettin' it on'....some would consider this funny, yet say nothing about it being unnatural. It's accepted as part of nature. As two humans with the same desire...In my own personal opinion, it too should be accepted.

I still can't get over the fact that there should even BE a VOTE for or against. We are all playing GOD ourselves, or perhaps playing with God; testing Him.

Much of society at the time of the Biblical era, homosexuality was governed by religious principles. That was 4000 years ago...But to return to the "unnaturalness" of homosexuality, if one presumes that acting unnaturally is wrong, then it would be wrong for homosexuals to act in a heterosexual manner, because to them, that is unnatural. For heterosexuals, homosexuality is unnatural. For homosexuals, heterosexuality is unnatural. To me, they're both perfectly acceptable moral behaviors. One is just different from the other.

************************************

Me being very liberal in my own thoughts on subjects such as this is: Stating that homosexuality is immoral involves the fundamental misconception that anything that is not "natural" is immoral. And it all boils down to the fact that we as Americans, and the civil rights of those who live near us, cannot make laws on how they can find happiness with a spouse...be they two women, two men, or a couple of the opposite sex. That's putting the state and church in a legal and political principal.

10 comments :

  1. Blessings to you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy this is saying a mouth full, very good post, have a very nice Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni
    Someone told me years ago to look at things not usual to your way of life in this way - Its not right, its not wrong, its just different - saved me from an outburst many a time
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post my friend and I feel the exact same way as you. You just wrote it better than I ever could! lol I've always believed that politics and religion should have no part in saying what is "wrong" and what is "right" where sexual partners are concerned. I have a great nephew who is gay and seeing the love and respect he and his partner have for each other, how can anyone condemn that? It just galls me that these politicians think they have the "right" to vote for or against!!!!! As I said, excellent post, Anni:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni, I say live and let live.

    I also say that we don't have to presuppose God. If a person believes the Bible is His word, then God has already judged that gay conduct is wrong. Period.
    (Remember Sodom & Gomorrah for starters?)

    He didn't say not to love gays, God says to love everyone, even our enemies. Jesus life and death here on earth was demonstration of God's love.
    ..
    BTW, this week we celebrate the death and resurection of Jesus Christ in our Good Friday and Easter holidays.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. my bottom line. you live your life, i live mine.i'm here to live, not judge. that's someone else's job...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni, my dear Anni. THANK you from the bottom of my heart for this very wonderful post! My brother is gay and I love him and his partner to bits! I love them because WHO they are, and they happen to be gay. But they both are wonderful, loving people and isn't that way more important than the fact that they also happen to be gay!!

    Thanks again girl for standing up and giving your own opinion. I do that to on MY blog.

    Love and hugs from Marian

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day Dear Anni. Well said!
    Let each to his own, Who do the pollies think they are. trying to meddle into others way of life.

    HAPPY EASTER hope the EAster Bunny is good to you on Sunday...


    HUGS JEN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    As Prime Minister of Canada Pierre Elliot Trudeau once said, "The State has no business in the people's bedrooms."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just read this post ! Compliments ! I fully agree with you on homosexuality and the fact that church and politics have nothing to do with each other. Unfortunately in the USA if you are not a Christian you won't have any chance to become a president !
    The German chanceler Angela Merkel refused to swear on the bible because she is an atheist. I don't even know what the Belgian politicians are. Nobody never talks about religion.

    ReplyDelete

.