my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008
6:20 A. M.



Join Here


TAILS this week: "This time of Year"


We are prompted to tell all about what we do/don't like this time of year. Okay, I'll tell you my one big pet peeve ...well, wait, TWO big pet peeves for the season.

My pet peeve for the season...traffic congestion. 'nough said. Okay. let me get it off my chest....you have this off ramp from the freeway....here in Texas, the highway system is to be commended...I'm totally impressed with the 'spaghetti turns'...where you don't have to wait for traffic lights and traffic build-up to get off the freeway and onto the other side of the road...it's awesome. But then you have these nincompoops who don't know whether they want to get off and make the spaghetti turn OR continue on towards the traffic light...there is always a lot of frustration with all the drivers and seldom anyone that is composed enough to let it all slide and go with the flow...more horn honking and finger gestures this time of year than any other time. The best thing for me is to get my gift shopping done before Black Friday, then, I can drive farther south to the beach while the others are taking the holiday frustrations out on other customers and/or the store staff. OR if I find I need something for the tree or making our traditional dishes for the holiday,..........I go way early. Before the majority of the people are even out of bed for the day. Praise be for those super-center stores that are open 24 hours.

The 2nd biggest pet peeve is one thing that seems to go on for eternity. I'm not big on College Football...but come the week of New Year's and beyond, it seems the only thing you see on TV --Bowl Games!!! To name some:




    Fiesta
    Orange
    Rose
    Sugar
    Sun
    Cotton
    Gator
    Capitol One
    Liberty
    Insight
    Independence
    Holiday
    Las Vegas
    Alamo
    Motor City
    Texas
    Emerald
    Hawai'i
    Papa Johns

    Not to mention the
    Honolulu
    Florida
    Iron
    Textile
    Corn
    Crab
    Black & Blue
    and more!!!
    TRUST ME.



- - -

What I love about the time of year, is the sparkles...the lights, the festiveness, the decorating, the cooking, the family, the presents. The time to sit down with loved ones and reflect on what is GOOD on this Earth!!!

26 comments :

  1. Hi Anni!
    Just stoppin' in to say HI and a Very Merry Christmas to you!! Thank heavens for cable tv and HBO, I'm not fond of the bowl games either.
    The only one I like to see is the one that the OSU Buckeyes is in. They do have a great team this year so I may watch it. Anyway...
    Happy holidays sweetie!!
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and your family Anni!

    Being from Canada I have very little understanding of these college foot bowls although they do turn up on a lot of our tv stations lol :)

    My HOT entry is here

    Happy Holidays again, and thank you for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Anni... I totally agree 1000% about the traffic... most congestions on the highway are because people don't know the system and mess it up for all... as far as the bowl games I like them BUT there are too many... they should only have 5 on TV for the top 10 teams.... Try to stay warm and have a super day...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to stop by and wish you a Merry Christmas!

    I wrote an article once on now-defunct bowl games. I, personally, miss the Bacardi Bowl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i simply love your loves of christmas!!!

    traffic, this time of the year... lucky me. we live inland, and since the whole of the country seems to have a need to head to the coast round about now, traffic here at home is just about non-existant... ahhh, another love of christmas.

    merry christmas dear anni, to you and your lucky hubby! your home must be a wonderland right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning dear Anni,

    I'm finally back in the world of blogging! lol Holiday traffic is also a pet peeve of mine...as you say, people get even more impatient this time of year and more often than not it's their own fault!!

    Thank goodness the college football games are only shown on the sports network here so at least all the other channels are available for normal viewing:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni,
    I hear ya! Holiday traffic is the worst!
    Even in our small NC town it seems bad and so rushed.
    Hope all is well and that you have a wonderful and blessed Holiday.
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'morning!

    I totally agree with your thoughts on College Football! I'm a Longhorns fan, but hey, enough is ENOUGH already!

    Personally, I miss the old family Christmas specials, 'specially Andy Williams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, we have the same problems over in the UK. Football (Soccer) on TV all the time, and I'm not a fan. Although I sorted out the traffic problem. I don't drive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni,

    I can see your frustration with both the traffic and the shoppers. I went for groceries yesterday and it wasn't bad. People were courteous and the store wasn't packed, but there were quite a few people. Everything went smoothly until I got to the checkout where every grumpy person in town was trying to checkout and the cashier wasn't up to date on prices. That caused chaos. Hubby looked at me and said, "Be nice! It's Christmas." lol

    I enjoy the same things about the holidays as you do - the sparkle of lights, the decorating and the fun of being with family and reminiscing.

    Have a wonderful day. I will finish the decorating and try to get gifts wrapped today. I'm still WAY behind. You know why. lol

    Blessings and hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say we sure don't traffic like that but when it snowy it can be slow going.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Anni! Ummm, can I come to the beach with ya? Just askin' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby just left to finish up our shopping, but he forgot the list. He called to have me read it to him and he said the traffic was HORRID. He didn't mention any honking or finger gestures, though. ;)

    I'll be watching whatever bowl game the Florida Gators are in. My mom would disown me if I didn't. Maybe. I don't even know if Michigan made it to one, but if they did, I suppose I'll watch that one, too.

    Anni, I just wanted to take a minute here to tell you what a wonderful addition to HoT you are. Wishing you and yours a VERY Merry Christmas!!!

    Did you get some of that snow?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Anni,
    I wish you a beautiful, Light-filled Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anni!
    Here it is already the day of the eve of Christmas Eve, and wow, you sure have decorated beautifully. You always do decorate so nicely and I always wonder how you do this fancy stuff, lol.

    I'm glad you put up your photo and some info about you. Now I can put a face to all the great posts I've read here off and on.

    I also love the sparkle and all the Christmas lights that everyone has in their yards, on their houses, etc. It is so beautiful and magical, and I bet the Hydro company celebrates all the extra income from those lights each year, haha.

    I wish you an awesome Christmas and I look forward to reading of your wonderful experiences in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoof!! I likes my presents cuz they're always things to eat, BARK!

    Merry KissMas!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi sweetie...I am just stopping by,as I try to "rejoin" the living and do Christmas in this time of grief. I am going directly to our other home to say hello to my friends...I finally posted something in my blog, I am not proud of the writing, but HAD to vent and that was the place! lol...Merry Christmas my dear friend! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post as always Anni! I just came over here to wish you a Merry, Merry Christmas with lots of peace and yummy xmas food :-P

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hear ya! I used to like games until they just got to be TOO much! Traffic isn't the highlight of the season, either, but family sure takes the cake and all the wonder prizes!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. yip I know what you about the traffic.

    Thanks for stopping.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New year

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree sweetie, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sooooooooooooooo with you on the college ball. My stepdad has it on in the living room as I write and I can't even listen! I love the lights and sparkles too - all the magic of the day! I left you a little something over at my place. http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2008/12/christmas-spirit.html Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to be married to a man who watched every kind of ball game on tv, from golf, to tennis, to football, baseball, basketball, you name it, he watched it. And I hated it. My FabGrandpa does not watch any ball related things, for which I am very grateful.

    I also hate the traffic, but I hate all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anni. I experienced some of that traffic congestion on Monday. It tends to incite road rage in me, so it's best for me and everyone else on the roads if I stay out of the holiday madness, LOL! ;o)

    Wishing you a happy, healthy, blessed and joyous Christmas and throughout the New Year, my friend.

    Much Love,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fortunately, I didn't have to be out in traffic ... and I don't have to watch any 'games' ... there are some advantages to living with a dog and a cat once one is happily retired.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

.