“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Monday, December 1st, 2008
5:01 A. M.
A Christmas candle makes no noise at all, but softly gives itself away!



I've been patiently waiting for December 1st to write about this. A story of two special deliveries to my doorstep. Like a kid, waiting; for Christmas morn....


This is going to remind me of sweetness!! M&Ms to be exact. No, just kidding. But it's going to be a little about Mutti and Mary. I've known Mutti for many years and our friendship has grown thick, like family ties that bond two woman as sisters. Mary I've met through blogging over the last year and a half, and our friendship has become stronger as the days go by. They both have sent me holiday treasures. I want to share them today in photos. Both ladies know me well. And through snail mail I received two wonderful gifts. Sweetness...like the M&Ms candies. Thing is, these friendships will last forever and not melt away!!


First story:

A couple of months ago, Mutti emailed me that she was having her son ship me a package from her. And that tho it was for Christmas I could open it right away when it was delivered to my doorstep. Mutti didn't want me to wait from October to December 25th to know what the gift was. Naturally, I obeyed. [insert wink here] When the package arrived, I had no idea what it was. Her clues didn't help. I was so excited. Once the package was unwrapped and the inside was exposed, I found a card and a black velvet pouch....



The card was wonderful, "To Anni, with Love and Affection, Mutti" Then, Danish words which are her personal closing in her emails to me and cards sent....



Believe me, I had no idea what lay in store for me when I began to open the velvet pouch. The only hint she gave me was that it represents a family...Mother, Father and Child. And that she had them custom made for me!!! I knew they had to be very fragile...once it was opened, I saw bubble wrap. I took the whole package then and sat on the floor right next to the carpet my hands were shaking with excitement by now and I didn't want to drop and break anything. And what to my wondering eyes should appear? As I drew in my hand and unfolded the smaller individual velvet sack, out came Claus the 1st with a sparkle all his own----------

Inside was Santa, and the 2nd pouch came Mrs. Claus and then the 3rd, little babe - Claus II! Custom made by a Danish glass blower! Mutti? YOU KNOW how I adore these...words can't express what I felt and how I feel now about these and your thoughtfulness!! I do so love them with all my heart as I 'luvya bunches'!!! My dear Mutti....thank you so much for thinking of me and having these made for me. I can't tell you how deeply touched I am.


[this picture was taken after I opened the gift. I now have them setting on snow for Christmas decor]



2nd story:

If you have kept up with my blog in the last months [like since April of this year], you recall a "Pay it Forward" section of how Mary did a pay it forward in gifts to three blogging friends. I was one of the three. I received from Mary an art print. Of Santa and his reindeer on Christmas Eve. Remember how I had worked with the digital prints and experimented by putting different colored matting around it? If not...here are some examples of what I tried out on the computer. I experimented with white/brown, red and green, green and red, grey, red and white --all trying to mat them in my head to see which would be best.

A couple of months passed, and Bud made me a frame, after it was completed and secured together and glue dried, I asked him to keep it 'wood' but stain it as close to the entertainment center shade of finish as possible, 'cause it would hang above the TV during the holiday season. Once the frame was stained and Bud kept it in the garage for a week, I then took the frame and the print to the art shop and did some 'real' experimenting with color combinations of matting. The white was too stark; draining away from the print and the fine colors. Red and green wasn't right either. All the previous color combinations I played around with on the computer just didn't look or feel right. So I grabbed the print and walked over to the entire showcase of matting choices. Gold? No! Silver? No, not that either. Everything I tried that I thought would be a good combination, wasn't.

I stopped where I was and took a real good look at the print. I tried to envision the wall in the living room where it would hang in December, and it came to me...the frame laying on the artist's counter was within eyesight, I saw that it was a dark cherrywood. A deep, warm brown. The main color in the print was blue. I tried those two colors. Went back to the counter and chose the mat 'cut' design. And within minutes the cutter had the mats glued together and finished. We framed it right there, covered it with glass, packed it ever so gently in the trunk and took it home. Mary? I once again thank you for the wonderful gift. The thought behind this and the gracious and loving generosity from you at all times makes me feel like a very special person!




I thank BOTH of you ladies, from the bottom of my heart!! My Christmas this year is going to be a very memorable one with friends like you two....how can it not? Ho! Ho! Ho!!



20 comments :

  1. you are one lucky lady! both (or should i say all 4) are beautiful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely gifts from two very dear friends. You are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those two ladies really knew what you liked for sure!! Very pretty!! Isn't it great to have such sweet friends as blogging friends??
    hope you day is grand!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anni ~ ~ Your gifts are lovely and from friends, they will be treasured. Thank you for posting the pic of your Bird of Paradise.
    I am so glad you liked my gazebo with the garden setting in there.
    I wish you and many other blogging friends could drop in for a cuppa.
    Take care, dear friend, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have been blessed. The gifts are both wonderful. And the matting is just gorgeous! Thanks for coming by this morning - I must get busy on my house today - there are things on the floor that little hands will be getting into unless I get them where they belong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting your blog for the first time today. I saw your comment at Jenni's blog.

    Your blog is absolutely beautiful!
    I am so jealous. I see your occupation is Senior Citizen. I'm 60, so I guess I just about qualify. Unfortunately, I also have a day job as a secretary. My passion is writing and indulge in it when I can.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stories about Mutti and Mary, Anni! I love your holiday decorations! You deseerve the award for "Best Decorated Blog." Gorgeous! I remember last year you gave me a Santa Claus badge for my sidebar - I have to look for it so I can put it up again... Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am VERY angry with you because you couldn't wait until Christmas, lol ! I am sure you would have forced your children to wait !! The gifts are lovely and especially the little Santa Claus !! that's really made for you !
    I hardly try to get some Christmas feelings, but so far I only feel cold ! I changed my blog dresses to get in the mood and unpacked all gifts I bought in Egypt. A part from that I feel like a zombie !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mutti and Mary...kudos to you, AND to HOOTIN' (my lysdexic fingers first typed HOTTIN') So hot Anni, you deserve your pay it forwards.

    Love your place. So festive. Happy Week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I noticed your commented that you didn't know who was hosting over at The Slab.
    Ms Cellania always has that information on her right side bar:

    http://mscellania.blogspot.com/

    I know that link won't work because I don't know how to use HTML, but at least you can copy and paste it...

    Kath :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are both wonderful gifts, Anni! Good friends, indeed. I also have a package waiting for me at home - not from a blog friend, but from a dear friend of MJ's late grandmother. She never fails to think of us at Christmas and St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni,

    First I have to say that the hand blow glass Santas that Mutti sent to you are beautiful. What a thoughtful gesture. I know you were thrilled to receive these.

    What an awesome job you did on the Santa print. It looks lovely in the cherry frame and I'm so glad that I could give you something that made you so happy. I treasure your friendship and that was just a small gesture of my love for you.

    Thank you so much for the kind words about my tribute to Aunt May. In future, I will be writing more about her. She was a petite lady who inspired me my entire life.

    Take care, my friend and have a wonderful day. I'm looking forward to photos of your Christmas decor.

    Blessings and hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very fortunate to have such thoughtful friends. Both of those gifts are wonderful! I love the hand blown glass Santa family. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! And the picture? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful gifts from two beautiful friends! I just love the hand blown glass Santa family, how precious they are. I also love the matting you decided to get for the print Mary had sent you...fabulous! You couldn't have chosen better, the brown and the blue really make the print stand out. Mary gave me a faerie print as my Pay It Forward gift and I've been looking for the perfect frame to put it in, as well as matting...hopefully I'll be as lucky as you to find the perfect ones:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Anni, on such special, beautiful gifts you received from two of your friends. You can feel that you are a very special person because you are just that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...you are lucky indeed, with old friends and new! Lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect sharing to begin the Christmas season!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the excitement I could hear in your words as you opened the gifts. So darling, the Santas and The print is just so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your new Christmas theme, Anni! It's gorgeous! :o)

    Lovely tribute to your "shiny" family, and your tree is beautiful, not to mention that Santa print that Mary sent you and your blown glass Santa family.

    Have a great week, Anni. :o)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Anni
    Let me start off by saying that the gift you have recieved from the lady Mary is magnificent
    You did a good job with it, the way you choose to frame it- it's beautiful.

    Also, I am so glad that you liked the Santas, and good thing you opened the package right away.
    Knowing you, it had been too cruel to let you wait until Christmas, you reminds me of a child in a toy shop---Everybody on this planet that I have met up to this point wants to wait, but I have a pretty good idea that you do not, no- and I sure as heck know I don't either. "S"

    You have precented your gifts here on your blog, in a way that is so like You, and it nearly brought tears to my eyes

    I feel privileged to know you, and I am so glad that you are a part of my life.

    I admire, and respect, love, and cherish you.
    Mutti

    ReplyDelete

.