“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







Join Here

This is the show n tell I wanted to do last week, but with the storm coming in and the computer unplugged, I had no chance of really giving this show n tell its much needed time to share the 'tell' part..........As promised from last week, this show n tell is all about tears. Apache Tears to be exact. When we lived in Arizona for about a dozen years before relocating to Texas, we loved walking in the desert. From the day trips around the outdoor desert museum of which we were members, to just stopping on a road, and venturing out in the lone, desolate desert landscape and enjoying being with nature, at its finest. There is something about being a desert dweller that no one can appreciate unless you've lived there. To experience the diverse and unseen flora found no other place, and the peace and quiet and howling of the coyotes around moonrise is something I wish everyone could enjoy.

But, while walking around the western slope of the Tucson Mountains one fine Spring day, while enjoying the scenery of a wildflower extravaganza [it was a very wet winter]...we walked and walked. Of course, me, being me, when I'd take a step into the cactus paths, my eyes were always downward. Western Diamondback rattlesnakes and Gila Monsters were active this time of year. Tho, the Gila Monsters are poisonous, they never frightened me 'cause they more or less would run from you unless threatened of course, and they need to clamp on you...they're slow, and the poison they emit from their teeth is only by a chewing motion. I've seen them...pink and black in marking-but they've always been running from me. Now, on the other hand, the rattlers strike! Giving you not much time to react, and that is why my eyes were on the path in front of me. Always.

Well, this one particular day, with my eyes downward, I spotted a beautiful small stone...it sparkled in the sunlight. I double checked under the cactus for critters within striking distance, stopped and listened for any threatening rattle sounds, and kicked the stone more in front of me to make it more visible in order to reach down and pick it up.

It was an Apache Tear!! I had read about their legend several times in Native American folklore pamphlets and books and magazines. So I knew right off what it was that I had in my hand! I was elated to have such a find in my possession.

Over the years, I found a few more while out walking.....
    Apache Tear Drop is a form of black obsidian. It is a calming translucent stone, found in Arizona and other parts of the U.S. It is composed of feldspar, hornblende, biotite and quartz. It was formed by rhythmic crystallization that produces a separation of light and dark materials into spherical shapes, and is a form of volcanic glass. There is a haunting legend about the Apache Tear Drop. After the Pinal Apaches had made several raids on a settlement in Arizona, the military regulars and some volunteers trailed the tracks of the stolen cattle and waited for dawn to attack the Apaches. The Apaches, confident in the safety of their location, were completely surprised and out-numbered in the attack. Nearly 50 of the band of 75 Apaches were killed in the first volley of shots. The rest of the tribe retreated to the cliff's edge and chose death by leaping over the edge rather than die at the hands of the white men. For years afterward those who ventured up the treacherous face of Big Pacacho in Arizona found skeletons, or could see the bleached bones wedged in the crevices of the side of the cliff. The Apache Women and the lovers of those who had died gathered a short distance from the base of the cliff where the sands were white, and for a moon they wept for their dead. They mourned greatly, for they realized that not only had their 75 brave Apache warriors died, but with them had died the great fighting spirit of the Pinal Apaches. Their sadness was so great, and their burden of sorrow so sincere that the Great Father imbedded into black stones the tears of the Apache Women who mourned their dead. These black obsidian stones, when held to the light, reveal the translucent tear of the Apache. The stones are said to bring good luck to those possessing them. It is said that whoever owns an Apache Tear Drop will never have to cry again, for the Apache Women have shed their tears in place of yours. The Apache tear drops are also said to balance the emotional nature and protect one from being taken advantage of. It can be carried as an amulet to stimulate success in business endeavors. It is also used to produce clear vision and to increase psychic powers. Black obsidian is a powerful Meditation stone. The purpose of this gemstone is to bring to light that which is hidden from the conscious mind. It dissolves suppressed negative patterns and purifies them. It can create a somewhat radical behavior change as new positive attitudes replace old, negative, egocentric patterns.


- - -



These are a few of them I grabbed from my 'rock collection' I have stashed away. You can tell what they are by the area where I found them first off, and then, when you hold them up to the light there is a smoky, iridescence that is unmistakably tear drop.




Here, I tried to hold the teardrop up to the window. The day I took the photo it wasn't really quite sunny enough, and it was quite wet outdoors to go out with the camera...so I tried to position it enough to show you the smoky yet clarity of the 'crystallization' of the drop. At my thumb, you see the glass is quite a different color than the black, obsidian going above to the top....this is not the camera's reflection [I had the flash shut off, and the lens set on macrolens], nor is it ALL my thumb reflection as it seems...this is the sun filtering through...showing you the 'see through' aspect of the teardrop.

The legend in itself is so fascinating, I really do find myself in awe of having these in my hands...there is something about them now that I love even more than when I actually found them on many occasions.

Apache Tears [from wikipedia]

28 comments :

  1. I've heard of Apache's Tears and am familiar with the legend, but I've never seen one outside of books and now on your blog.

    I used to be a bit of a rock hound but don't have much opportunity to indulge in that hobby these days.

    I really enjoyed this post, Anni!

    Happy Friday and have a good weekend. :-)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni,

    I have heard of Apache Tears but had never actually seen one. You are lucky to have these beautiful pieces in your collection.

    This is an amazing post, both informative and interesting. I have heard the legend before and am impressed that I actually know someone who has several Apache Tears.

    Thank you for such an awesome post for S&T Friday. I always love visiting with you. Have a wonderful day, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning dear Anni:-)

    I'm dressed and ready to leave to go visit my boys this weekend but first I had to come visit you!! I so loved reading the legend behind the Apache Tears...I'd never heard of these. I can well imagine how excited you were when you found your first one and how lucky you are to have found a few more after that! I've always found Native legends to be so beautiful and this one is no exception.

    Have a great weekend my friend and I'll see you when I get back:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an awesome show and tell. Those are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stories of Indians or native Americans as they are called now and this stone looks just beautiful. Can it be used as a jewel, maybe as a hanger or so ? Or just to be kept as a collection stone ? I know that Indians used a lot of turquoise stones and I have bought some little jewlery from them years ago in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Annie :)

    Thank you for sharing your Apache tears and the story, it's amazing how much a person can learn isn't it. They are so beautiful, have you made one into a necklace by chance?

    Have a Fantastic Friday!
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very neat show and share. Thanks Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fascinating. I have never heard of these before. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not heard this legend before - I love Tony Hillerman's books, and have read a lot of NA folklore, but not this one. Beautiful stones! I cannot imagine living in the heat of Arizona year round, but would love to be there in springtime some year. We spent a few days in Wickenburg when Kristen was in anorexia treatment and loved walking in the cooler evening air, and waking up to the sounds of the birds and the wonderful smells in the air. Great post.

    I think it's great when people tell me which of the stitcheries they like the best. I cannot imagine that I was ever so ambitious and creative! I look at some of those stitches and marvel that I was able to figure out how to do them. Makes me feel good about myself - wish I had some of that energy these days!

    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of the story or stone before. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing find and heart-felt story. It’s new to me and I appreciate you sharing today. Thanks for helping to turn my rather frustrating morning around. I suspected I could count on you which is why I visited here first ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting post. I have seen these stones but had never heard the story behind them. I know what you mean about the desert. Before we moved here we thought one of the last place in the world we would want to live was in the Arizona desert. But when we moved here 18 years ago, we fell in love with it immediately.

    Thanks for the nice comments on my dolls. The new background is by Cutest Blogs on the Block. I just now put a link to it on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was new to me and thank you for sharing. Have a Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, I am living here in AZ and I have never heard or seen of this stone. If it wasn't so hot! I would go looking....that will have to wait...but I will look. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this lesson about Apache Tears. I enjoyed reading and looking at your fine photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of this legend before, what a great story! I really enjoyed reading it and thanks for showing those stones!
    Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  17. So is it true? Have you NEVER cried again? They are beautiful! Such treasures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni,
    I loved your Show & Tell! I've never heard of Apache Tears before. The samples you found are just beautiful. I loved reading about the legend of the apache tears. What a great post!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had never heard of the Apache Tear legend before. My Grandmother used to buy these for us when we were little. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are beautiful!!!
    And the smoothy was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni, I tagged you at my blog: "The NeedsMeme." You don't have to do it, if you don't want to... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never heard of Apache tears before, very interesting post, thanks for sharing
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anni...
    Just popping in to say hello to old friends and checking blogroll links for my new blog Barkley Blah!.

    So good to catch up with what everybody has been doing while I've been away... you've certainly been busy keeping at it!

    And thanks too for the reminder, I need to visit the over50's and update my own links.

    :-)
    Della
    [nee turningsixty blog]

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are really pretty rocks. Thanks for all the information. It is very interesting.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful experience to share in your post! I so enjoy legends and appreciate beautiful stones. Being from Wyoming I can appreciate the watchful eye for diamond backs. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Geriatric Nurse

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed reading about the legend. Your collection of stones is beautiful. Thanks for visiting my blog. Phil's Grill

    ReplyDelete
  27. How interesting and beautiful!. I've never heard of these.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, those are very special treasures, Anni! We have been learning about Native Americans this year, so thank you for sharing the interesting information, too!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete

.