“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







Join Here

This is the 1st Anniversary of the meme started by Barb - Heads or Tails. We're encouraged to 'think outside the box' which means more or less...."Players? You have free reign!" This week our prompt is appropriately heads OR tails.

I'm going with TWO
'Heads' Up version.

The 1st:

A prayer [or best positive thoughts] for a friend of mine, and a new book coming to a bookstore near you!


I'd like to introduce you [without names] to a loving woman, "R", and her man who has become an intregal part of my life online! In all actuality, it's going to be, in sort, another anniversary of one definite 'special occasion'. And this past Wednesday it was their 60th anniversary of that special occasion!! On the 14th of August these two love birds took an excursion that fine day in 1948 ---an excursion that would last them a lifetime! You see it was the day a certain ring [engagement] was going to be purchased!!

When I saw this photo the other day in my email...I fell in love with it. You know how the saying goes, "a picture paints a 1000 words"? I see so much in this photo. I see love, I see happiness, I see determination, I see devotion, I see two young wonderful people! This couple is very special to me!! No, we're not related, tho so many times in the several years I've known them by online friendship and mailings through the postal service...gifts, chats, scares, fun, teasing, cards...you name it, I've felt that they ARE a part of me in so many ways. When I opened this photo attachment, my heart skipped a beat...I fell in love with it as I've grown to love the couple! Why, looking at this photo is like seeing for the first time a relationship that will go on beyond life, and perhaps show others that being as one ---that life is GOOD!!!

One more thing, this fine lady is going in for surgery Tuesday [probably is in surgery as you read this]. I ask that you keep her in your thoughts ---and pray that the operation is successful!! ♥

[I received permission, okaying me to post this special photo!! Thank you dear hearts!!!] And to respect their privacy, I promised to not use any names here. Love you bunches, and hold you close to my heart!!!
    "Hi sweet Anni
    But of course, You can use the photo all you want, and I am very honored that you think it is good enough to go on the net, Maybe you can brighten it up, or take some of the stains off, and this one is 60 years old you know."


---

The 2nd 'Heads' UP:

I can't wait....I can't wait! How long is it now 'til October 14th?!! Maybe, just maybe Barnes and Nobel will have it out on the shelves before then. I do hope so...oh, I just can't wait!

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the newest book of his. Finally. At last. I'm gonna be a happy camper book holder soon. Yes!!!

My favorite author is coming out with his 3rd in a series of OZ. As in the Wizard of Oz and the Wicked Witch. Adult fantasy come to life. The newest one [Wicked and the Son of a Witch are the two previous books] is entitled A Lion Among Men. I found out about the book about a year ago, that he was working on it; through a google search "New book for Gregory Maguire". And I read a bit of what it was going to be about back then, tho the synopsis at the time was very scant. Now B&N has a more in depth version of the background of what's going to be between the covers of his newest fiction....
    A Lion Among Men complements the New York Times bestseller Son of a Witch in fleshing out the world of Oz, seen this time through the eyes of the Cowardly Lion-remembered from Wicked as a tiny cub defended by Elphaba. While civil war looms in Oz, an ancient and tetchy oracle named Yackle prepares for death. Before she can return to dust, however, the Cowardly Lion, an enigmatic figure named Brrr, arrives in search of information about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West. As payment, Yackle, who hovered on the sidelines of Elphaba's life, demands some answers of her own. Abandoned as a cub, Brrr's earliest memories are only gluey hazes. But his path from infancy in the Great Gillikin Forest is no Yellow Brick Road. Seeking to redress an early mistake, he tumbles though a swamp of ghosts, becomes implicated in a massacre of trolls, and falls in love with a Cat princess. Sidestepping the laws that oppress talking Animals, Brrr cannily avoids a jail sentence by agreeing to serve as a lackey to the warmongering Emperor of Oz. A Lion Among Men traces a battle of wits between adversaries distracted by the armies approaching on either side of them. What does the Lion know of the whereabouts of the Witch's boy, Liir? What can Yackle reveal about the auguries of the Clock of the Time Dragon? Is destiny ever arbitrary? Can those tarnished by infamy escape their sobriquets-cowardly, wicked, brainless, criminally earnest-to claim their own histories, to live honorably within their own skins before they're skinned alive?


Monday afternoon, I ended up at Barnes N Noble and ordered one already...And I'm gonna be one of the first to hit the store in just a little over a month. Oh goodie, oh goodie!! Call me strange, but I do get excited over all his books. I have 'em all [and one teen book he wrote about the tooth fairy coming to life too!]

Here's my collection of first editions.

23 comments :

  1. What a beautiful post regarding your friends. It's something special when you make true friends. It's something to really hold on to. My prayers are with your friend while she is in surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a special photo. it really speaks a lot.

    happy one year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely ‘heads up’ post … honoring others … blessing us all. I’ve added your friend to my prayer list … wish her a successful surgery and speedy recovery. My HoTs is just silly … but it was the best I could manage with everything else going on. I’m still trying to visit more Fun Monday participants and respond to their questions … and I’m so far behind with ‘responses’ and email I may never catch up, but I’m trying to relax. Have a wonderful evening and a pleasant tomorrow.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a precious, loving picture of your friends. I will be lifting her up high in my prayers, asking God to take good care of her sweetie. That book sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing of your friends and seeing the picture. I pray that the surgery goes well.

    My son has read those two books, Wicked and Son of a Witch, but I haven't. Hearing how much you like them makes me want to check them out now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    I have to look up this author and read some of these books. I'm sure they are a good read.

    Love the photo and Happy 60th anniversary to your dear friends. I will keep her in my prayers for her surgery. I don't know her name, but God will know exactly who I pray for.

    Another great post. I thoroughly enjoyed dropping by. Now I should check and see if there's a post I've missed. Glad we are back in touch by email.

    Blessings for a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo of your friends looks so typical for this time ! I saw several once just showing American soldiers with their futur German wives !

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to read about your friends and their happy life together. Of course I will keep her in my thoughts.

    I've not read any of those books, but I sure will keep my eyes open for them now.

    Thank you so much for being such a loyal Hottie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great!!! And I love the photo :) Happy HOT day Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the old fashioned photo its beautiful.

    Hey have you changed your template again? ... i really like it :)

    my hots is up if you want to stop by
    http://www.mummydiariesblog.com/2008/08/heads-or-tails-edition-52.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have such wonderful and deep posts. Thanks for sharing the special people and events in your life.

    We're fine so far from Tropical Storm Fay but we will be getting the rain and wind later today and tomorrow. It's a very serious storm in terms of rainfall and tornadoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts Anni! Your blog is very fun to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this the same author as Wicked? I loved that book! Is the second one Son of A Witch? If so, I have to put that on my list. I had no idea it was part of a series. I just read the one book. Grat HoT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loely photo!!! I love old ones you can see so much in them!!
    And a prayer on the surgery!
    I have not heard of that book..maybe have to check into it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how interesting. Have a great HoT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is your friend the author of the new book? What is it called? I'm always looking for a good book to read, especially from new authors. :) Thanks for sharing this Tuesday!

    P.S.
    My HoT is up a little later than usual, but feel free to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That picture does say so much! Thanks for the "heads up."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful picture (and couple I'm sure). Did you mark it with the do not steal. I only recently learned about people stealing from blogs. Thanks for mentioning your new book. I will have to get the first two from the library. I always seem to have a book I am waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great picture and story! So I will be thinking of these two this week.

    It is always is a fun thing when a new book comes out in a series. It will be here before you know it.

    Hope you can stop by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for explaining it to me.
    Last April my Uncle and Aunt celebrate there 60th Anniversary.
    A long time to be married.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful post. It so much reminds me of my grandparents. I also have a very similar photo of them with him in his uniform

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great post and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the old photo of the happy couple!!! I love old photos as you can see by my last post. i got into my mom's old photo albums and literally spent hours!!! Those hours turned into more than one day of looking, too! I loved it!!! Now I am going through them again, pulling out pics of my dad's life for his birthday tribute in Septmeber. I just regret that I have no grandchildren to pass these wonderful old photos down to...at least, not yet I don't! I will never give up hope for grandbabies!!! Guess I really need to get them married first! LOL

    I'm not into reading too much as I work 2 jobs and care for 33 cats besides, so there's not much time for the things I enjoy these days. Someday, I hope to spend more time relaxing with some good books!

    A beautiful post about your longtime friends!!!

    (((((( HUGS ))))))

    ReplyDelete

.