my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!




Join Here

So, I made a special trip the other day, back to Cracker Barrel. The day before I made the return trip, Bud and I had lunch there. Y'know, one of the reasons I love going there once in a while is for their green beans. They taste so much like my mom's style green beans...it just makes me happy thinking of the good ol' days when mom was still with me and her good down home cooking! [Not to mention Cracker Barrel's mashed potatoes!] But it's the green beans I tellya, nothing else. Okay, so I had my green bean fix for the month, and after we finished lunch we went out front to pay the tab. Of course if you have never been to a Cracker Barrel restaurant, you don't know...out front they have a General Mercantile Store. Again, it's like going back in time. Candies, homemade preserves, old fashioned toys, clothing...and a lot can be found in barrels like from Nelson's Mercantile in the Little House on the Prairie series! It's all so nostalgic. And each season, they have so many specialties displayed around the little store. And of course, this is my time of year for shopping. I like to shop more for Halloween and Autumn than I do for Christmas. Always have, always will. I guess it's because I buy for Christmas year 'round. If I find something, say, in May for Irene that I know she'd like I buy it and stash it away for sending to her for Christmas. And I normally have a couple of gifts that need to be shipped overseas for the holidays so, that too is purchased way before December and shipped early for the on time arrival. Also, gift giving for Christmas and our immediate family has never been 'the thing to do'! It was just more Christmas Eve services and then a big huge family get-together and that's all.

Well, while waiting for Bud to pay for the lunch ticket, I was perusing all the Halloween and Autumn goodies. I saw a fabulous fiber optic witch...two of them actually. But tho one was only $25 the other I really liked was much too much to spend. Then, walking around the same table, there hanging from the table's edge, were witch boots! On the same concept as a fireplace stocking for Christmas....and was it ever decorated beautifully. Price? Hmmmmm, kinda expensive. So, I talked myself out of buying it.

Then, later in the afternoon, I began thinking of making one for myself. I knew I could do it. It wouldn't be difficult. Just make my own pattern from scratch paper and buy some festive material for the 'holiday', some ribbon and small seasonal flowers and such. Ya, I'd have one. An original. Made by me. That night I was still contemplating making one. I figured out the cost of things in my head, and then realized that by buying the one already made at Cracker Barrel would be the same price or even less.


Of course, the next day, we were out and about as always and I made an 'off the beaten path' trip to return and buy the mass produced boot stocking....I think it was less stressful. LOL It will look perfect on the fireplace hearth! And maybe it'll encourage a visit from the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!!








<><><>




I ended up buying a yard of black and a yard of Autumn plaid with some gold ribbon and artificial wheat and Fall flowers, some quilt batting for 'fullness', along with a black tassel and such to make one!!




I drew my own boot pattern, tho quite primitive, and pinned it to the black material...




After cutting out the black, I then did the same with the Autumn plaid.



And with the cost of material now-a-days, it DID total to a bit over the cost of the 'already made one' I bought for myself. I knew it, I just knew it. Thing is I gave my cabinet sewing machine to Irene a long time ago and kept my portable sewing machine for myself when we retired and was downsizing on possessions. So, with the new dining room table, I don't want to mar the finish -- I'll have to find a place to set up the portable and sew.

Maybe, I thought, I'll just stitch it by hand. I have nothing else to do for now, why not? So, I did both....Bud set me up a little portable table and sewing by machine made it go a lot quicker. Anyway, once this is finished, I will ship it to Irene - she TRULY loves to decorate for Halloween!!! More so than I do if that's possible!

She even goes as far as hanging webbing throughout her home, and those huge spiders from the ceilings and well...ya, she goes 'all out'. I know she'll like the Witch's Boot too. And she loves the 'country look' so the Autumn plaid will be great for her place!!


And....

It's almost finished. I just need to stitch on the tassel for hanging [top left of the photo] And it truly isn't as professional looking as the store bought! :::shrug::: oh well. It's the thought that counts, and I know she'll like it.



29 comments :

  1. It is cute!!!!

    Sometimes, makeing an item cost much more than going out and buying it ready made. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I wish I bought stock in that place years ago, I could retire now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!!

    Anni,

    You're way ahead of me with your fall decorating!!

    I always like to decorate a lot for fall and hope I feel up to it this time!



    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really the Halloween queen, lol ! Now I sing "these boots are made for walking" Lalala !
    Very good job !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Anni,

    I just love both the witch boots. You are so creative and have a lot of imagination. I admire that. I'm sure Irene will treasure the boot you made for her more than she would have the store bought one just because you made it.

    Have a good weekend, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    I wish we had a Cracker Barrel here. Not only do I LOVE the food, but I also love the store. The boot is so unique and I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment out of it. The one you made for Irene is great. You've done a terrific job and she is going to be soooo excited to receive it.

    I certainly enjoyed your S&T today and before we know it, Halloween will be here. It's been such a nice summer with no humidity that I dread the thought of it ending, but all things must end, so am looking forward to all the beautiful autumn colors.

    Blessings for a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cute idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! How cute is that?! I love them both! I may have to make a trip to Cracker Barrel! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just love Cracker Barrel? I'd rather shop there than eat there! Witch boots are very cute...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute project! I love Cracker Barrel

    ReplyDelete
  11. The witchy shoes are awesome! Never thought of doing that. I saw a blog where a lady goes to estate sales to find stuff for etsy.com and to decorate her home and she found 'one' old turn of the century shoe and stuck some money plant branches in it. It looks neat (Artsymama).
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I did add a few more photos of Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really, really awesome. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten at a Cracker Barrel, but the if the green beans and mashed potatoes are that good … perhaps I’ll see if I can find one around here. You’re oh so creative my dear … I’m sure the Great Pumpkin will be impressed too ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  14. BOTH are wonderful! I love Cracker Barrel too, I even like having to wait to be seated, so I HAVE to look around! How smart you can take an idea and go home and make one just as cool! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Halloween so I enjoyed this post very much. Halloween stockings are a great idea. I think I might copy your idea. I'm not very good at sewing, but I've always sewn all my kids' Halloween costumes when they were little. Maybe the stocking won't be as challenging. Thanks for this great post. I love your blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not so crafty, so I would buy the boot at
    Cracker Barrel. It's cute! Making it from scratch would probably cost me more before it was finished! LOL I can't wait for fall! I need to get my fall stuff up, I am ready!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello!! You so love Halloween!! That is great!! I think buying it probably did cost you less but then again you went right out and bought stuff to make one anyway!! Oh well, you had the fun of buying and the fun of making!! GREAT DEAL!!

    sandy
    We are getting tons and i mean TONS of rain today!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute idea! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean about the Cracker Barrel. I love to go there. The food is good but I especially enjoy the shopping. The boot you made is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that was very creative! And I love Cracker Barrel too--they have the best chicken 'n dumplings...mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw that stocking at Cracker Barrel. You did a great job on the one you made also!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the Halloween Stocking! I love fall and decorating for Halloween. I was at Linens & Things today and they have the new Yankee Candles - Halloween - Cider Web smells divine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think Iam missing out!! I have never been there!! I LOVE that boot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We stopped at several Cracker Barrels on our 3-week vacation, only place we can guarantee a good meal! I like the green beans too, and have them with my vegetable plate! (Along with mac/cheese, carrots, and slaw! Yum!)

    Cute boots! You did a great job! I'm sure Irene will love hers as much as you love yours!

    I enjoyed seeing their Halloween and Fall things too, and bought a "Boo!" I always think of you when I see the witch decor. Hmmm, that didn't sound nice, but you know what I mean!!

    Katherine

    P.S. - You can make their green beans, just add a LOT of bacon grease!! LOL! But, then you wouldn't get to shop the store!

    ReplyDelete
  26. P.S. - I LOVE your yellow blog design! I want one!!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love both boots! You did a wonderful job on the one you made. Now if only it would magically appear filled with candy. :0)
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is just too cool. Gave me great ideas for Christmas, too!

    ReplyDelete

.