“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






My Sunday memes -Green Thumb and Unconscious Mutterings follow. I wanted to first show you our new bird feeder and our first known guest arriving[images can be enlarged]......


During the week, I asked Bud to add this box I found at a garage sale while doing my walking for the day last weekend--I asked him to make a new bird feeder for the yard. You may remember that I bought a 'squirrel proof' feeder for the patio a few months back? And then, the crafty booger found a way to get to the seed? Well, I gave up. I didn't really care for the feeder on the patio either. Tho the cats in the house loved it at its location, the mess the birds made on the patio and the patio furniture was getting to be a bit too much to keep up with it; cleaning up after them if you know what I mean. So, thoughts of having a feeder back out in the yard somewhere kept running through my mind.


When I spotted this small wooden box I thought it'd be ideal. Squirrels be hexed! They can come munch all they want. LOL It was nicely painted with small country images along the side, tho there were leather handles on each side which I cut off when I got home. Bud found a medium sized scrap of thick dowel and braced it below for the birds' weight and then bolted it on from the inside of the box connecting it to the dowel. And 'planted it'. And once I saw a white winged dove come perch on the patio's wooden butterfly by the dining room window, I figured he was in search of his feeding spot. I went outside and as I came through the door and stepped on the patio --I saw him sitting on the electrical wires above. While he was still there, I went out and emptied a bit of the sack of feed into the new box, as he watched every move I made. I then stepped under the patio lattice work and waited, with camera in hand. Eventually he christened the feeder!!





Play along with your subconscious; Sunday's Word Association.
Join here.


She says ... and I think ...
  1. Notification :: SUMMONS

  2. Cheat :: Exam

  3. Top Ten :: Oldies but Goodies

  4. Draft :: Notice

  5. Unbelievable :: Shocking

  6. Cheap :: Absolutely Nothing!
    [not even dirt these days --as in 'dirt cheap']

  7. Spontaneous :: Combustion

  8. Harass :: Heckle

  9. Lipstick :: Lip Gloss

  10. Transpire :: Develop




<><><>


Join Here
This week's Green Thumb photo I share is taken with the marco lens on the digital. Bud says he's surprised I got this close to a bee! [I'm allergic to their sting] But, none the less, I had the opportunity to capture this close up of one that was 'hard at work' collecting pollen!

The bush is called Texas Sage. It has a woody formation of light colored bark, very thin and branches are quite fragile unless the bush itself is rather old. The leaves are a smoky green...at a distance they look silver. In Tucson, the legend goes that it blooms only after a rain. Which I found to be true after living there for a dozen years. But here, in Texas, it blooms often. After rains, before rains, and even during the winter months. [Guess maybe it has to do for the fact we have it in a raised flower bed and it's all watered often with the sprinkler system set to water a couple times a week....s'pose?] The blossoms are quite pungent tho...reminds me of ammonia or perhaps a bed pan....if you get my drift. Quite unpleasant for some reason only known to mother nature.

Anyway, the flowers are miniature - orchid like in a way. Purple-pink. And a beautiful contrast against the smoky leaves. I also have a red Don Juan climbing rose planted just under its canopy near the root ball of the sage; the rose is twisted and clinging to the sage branches and makes for a great focal point in the summer with the silver, the purple flowers of the sage and the red velvet of the rose.






<><><>






A girl, born with feet that were 'backward' learns to walk after successful operation!!! The video link here is short. But what a story of will and drive in a young girl. Amazingly she walked in 1/3 the time the surgeons and doctors predicted!!!




21 comments :

  1. Good morning! No I am not stalking you! However, I have found that I like the same memes.

    Funny you should post about your birds and squirrels, I was pestering my hubby to get a "bird house" for our birds yesterday.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the same meme's as you - love how they get the grey matter working ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,

    I love the photo of the bee. It's a great shot. It's interesting to watch how hard they work. It's amazing.

    Your unconscious mutterings were great, as always. And the bird feeder is perfect. The white-winged dove looks very similar to our mourning doves except they are all gray.

    Take care and have a relaxing Sunday, my friend. I hope the storms don't move into the mainland. I always keep an eye on your Hurricane Watch.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. also lovin the bee pic/ great mutterings. Have an awesome Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics and recipes (I, too, have been making ices recently: Yellow Zinger - very lemony - and Lychee Sherbet)
    We matched on a couple of the words this week. Thanks for visiting my blog, too

    ReplyDelete
  6. great feeder! and happy mutterings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by my blog.
    I would love to have bird feeder in my garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lip gloss -- I never leave the house without it. ;)

    Happy Sunday, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gday Anni,
    Love your photo's specialy the flower with the bee.. like your muttering and you put the feeder in the best place out on the grass were it wont make a mess.
    Take care my friend ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a recipe when you comment...wow great blog.

    Love your muttering.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great mutterings and awesome feeder! I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS: I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the ladybugs - how fun! (I also love ladybugs - especially when they eat up the aphids on my roses!) Great mutterings, btw. Especially the true - nothing's cheap.

    Beautiful Buckfast Honey bee in your sage - but then you're in Texas where there's a lot of Buckfast Honey Bees.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy has had her insulin shot,
    and had lunch. I have a few minutes to write a note.
    The rest of the gang are up at a friend of my daughter Carrie. They went swimming! Too much sun for Nancy! Lupus patients are not suppose to be in much sun! Besides it is Hot and humid! Glad you had a great Fourth! Love, Grams

    I love your new look! Little lady bug!! SO cute!! But your blog is always so neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice mutterings, glad we got some matches this week!

    I'm not sure if Casey is still on the air or not. I've heard a few of his outtakes from the radio on youtube and various other sites though, he's pretty interesting when he's mad.

    Walmart has a bargain bin in their electronics section usually with $5 movies (2 for ~10), sometimes you can find some pretty decent movies in it.

    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure there is an actual "squirrel proof" feeder! Those little guys can get into anything.

    Nice mutterings, I love notification=summons.

    The smoothie sounds really good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun to find a solution to your ‘squirrel’ problem … and to capture your first flying visitor. Well done! Enjoyed your mutterings … especially your response to #6 … but it seems we were on ‘different wave-lengths’ today. Wonderful bumblebee shot and amazing Sunday Snippet today. I watched the LONG tennis match so am just beginning to visit ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  18. is your template new ? the picture of achmed caught my eyes. my husband loves watching its video in youtube.

    thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed this post sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As you know, Texas Sage only blooms here in Arizona about 10 days after a rain. Even if I water it a few extra times or wet it down, it will not flower. You just can't fool it! I've read that the mechanism for making it bloom is not known, but some scientists believe it has something to do with the level of humidity in the air for periods of time before, during and after rains, rather than the water to the roots. Perhaps your higher humidity is triggering it to bloom more frequently.
    Happy GTS,
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping by my blog today for Green Thumb Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

.