my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





About | Theme: NARROW | Roll
Next week "heavy"

This is a photo of the state in the USA that I grew up in. It's a canyon in Colorado. As you travel the 'narrow' two-lane highway that follows the river heading west to the Continental Divide, you'll see a sign that tells you you're entering the "Big Narrows" Canyon. The picture was taken atop a rocky enbankment, looking into the valley below.

The river is north and west of Denver. It's named Cache La Poudre River -pronounced by locals, CASH lah POO dur-. [French meaning, hide the powder, or hidden powder] In the days of the fur trappers they'd stash their gun powder along the trails and river's ravines...hence, the naming.

Nearest town -East about 25 miles La Porte, Colorado [also French - meaning "the door"] Named so probably because it's the door to the narrow canyon and the cache.

The area I grew up in is about 100 miles south and east of where this photo is shot.



- - -




ADDENDUM: This section of canyon was also used in the filming of the TV mini-series "The Centennial" with Robert Conrad and Richard Chamberlain as mountain men. [Robert Conrad was the "French" trapper Pasquinel. Richard Chamberlain was "Scottish" known as McKeag and the love interest of the two men, a regional Native American -"Clay Basket"] circa: 1978




~...end Photo Hunt
[scroll down for commenting]

<><><>



I was tagged by Dallas Miao'd with the Music Meme
The right click on her blog is disabled, [and I respect her privacy choice] so I will 'play along' as best I can--

I'm to list my favorite love song and explain the reason it's a favorite; the story behind it.

My favorite is for very personal reasons. This song, I'm sure, will age me. But it's been a favorite for many decades, and it's all because - - - -

The time frame:
1968
Many many years ago

Before hubby and I were married, we went to a Country Western Dance Hall in the middle of the week for beers and nachos after we both got off work. Just to relax and unwind. As we got out on the dance floor for the first dance in the stardust lighted area, the first song the band played was Eddy Arnold's Welcome to My World. He [my date - soon to be hubby] actually sang the song in my ear as we glided around the floor. He was telling me something that night!! And I will never forget the song...never forget his voice....it echoes in my mind many-a-times since then, too!

Welcome to My World



Lyrics:

Welcome to my world
Won't you come on in
Miracles I guess
Still happen now and then

Step into my heart
Leave your cares behind
Welcome to my world
Built with you in mind

Knock and the door will open
Seek and you will find
Ask and you'll be given
The key to this world of mine

I'll be waiting here
With my arms unfurled
Waiting just for you
Welcome to my world

Knock and the door will open
Seek and you will find
Ask and you'll be given
The key to this world of mine

I'll be waiting here
With my arms unfurled
Waiting just for you
Welcome to my world
Waiting just for you
Welcome to my world

[PS...the first year we were married, we went to the State Fair in Colorado and guess who was the guest star? Yep, Eddy Arnold!! I have photos in one of my many albums...I'll have to blog about that memory from long ago some day!]

- - -

If you'd like to do the 'favorite love song' music meme....
Let me know. I'd love to read the story behind it!!!


<><><>



From Pea at Pea's Corner, she invited anyone who wanted to do this meme....



Four Jobs I've had
1. Teenager babysitting
2. Head Receptionist at the Chamber of Commerce
3. Office Supervisor at a local Colorado High School
4. Patient Coordinator at a Corporate Pyschiatric Office

Four Movies Watched Over and Over
*only four?
1. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
2. National Treasure
3. Horatio Hornblower [A&E 8 part DVD series]
4. Pirates of the Caribbean

Four Places I've Lived
1. Nebraska [born]
2. Colorado [40+ years]
3. Arizona [11 years]
4. Texas [3 years]

Four Shows I Watch
1. Prison Break [tho this season sucks!]
2. 10 PM news
3. National Geographic Specials [varying subjects]
4. no others ---except for sports [games] and movies

Four Places I've Been
1. Hawaiian Islands [twice]
2. Washington D.C. [four times]
3. Mexico [several times!]
4. Down the Mississippi on a riverboat [someday, I'll blog about it I found some old photos going through all the albums recently]

Four People Who E-Mail Me Regularly
1. Son
2. Daughter
3. Sister
4. A daily online e-mail group I've been part of for nearly 8 years.

Four Favorite Things to Eat
1. Cheeseburgers
2. Pizza
3. Burritos
4. Ice cream cones

Four Places I'd Rather Be
1. On the beach
2.
3.
4.

Four Things I Look Forward to This Year

1. Tax rebate [LOLOLOL]
2. Presidential Election [at LAST!!! Been a long 4 years]
3. A day trip to ??!!??
4. Gardening again

<><><>
Anyone who'd like to fill in the fours...go right ahead!!




76 comments :

  1. Wow I'm the first! I sure had to scroll far down on the page, but it was sure worth the time!! I loved the photo and the story behind the song!! Great job!!!
    I'll try and find a song too!
    Happy weekend and keep an eye on the mailman!
    Hugs
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just a totally beautiful area and the road must be a photographer's heaven. The hills look almost swirled somehow. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great shot for this theme Anni, lovely country too. I'd like to visit Colorado one day. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a gorgeous shot for the narrow theme and I enjoyed your stories too. Good post! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni, I'll do the "Fours" meme.

    Your favourite love song is sooo romantic. I guess that was a proposal...what a lovely way to get a proposal...no wonder that song means so much to you. I remember another country singer who was very popular in the 60s...Jim someone (so popular I can't even remember his name, but he had a lovely sexy voice), singing that song, too.

    That canyon in the photo is rather spectacular, but it sure looks a long way down from the outcrop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    I remember that song by Eddie Arnold. I was already married by that time. It was a great song.

    Enjoyed reading your memes. I learn a lot about you when you do these and your life has been so interesting.

    Take care, my friend. We have LOTS of snow here. Have a great weekend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful place. I would love to go hiking there. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Evening Anni,
    The Canyon is beautiful. I don't think I could stand up there and take a picture looking down tho. LOL. It is a beautiful place tho and it's so neat that you have the t.v. guide from the show that was filmed there. I so enjoyed reading your Music Meme. That is such a wonderful and romantic love story. It just gave me chills reading it. I'm a big romantic person myself. I'll stop there. LOL. I have heard of that song before and I'm sure I've even listened to it way back when. I also enjoyed reading your 4 thing Meme. I enjoy reading Meme's. It helps me to learn about my friends. "THANK YOU" for sharing some beautiful pictures with us and for sharing some of your life with us. I so enjoyed it. I don't know if I'm going to post this weekend or not. I have a sick child and I don't know if I'm going to get any rest or not. Take care my friend and have a great evening/day. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must be very beautiful where you grew up. Thanks for sharing your story.

    Mine's here. http://makimeji.com/photos/baclayon/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love narrow canyon roads and the anticipation of the ascent to the top is so glorious esp in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! What a beautiful shot! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is an amzing scene! So beautiful. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo and thanks for stopping by.. believe it or not I have never been to what I would call an officially named canyon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great shot you got there. and i bet you have so much fun and adventure growing up in that place. :) tfs!

    mine's up too. pls check it out at ~ BLOGSILOG

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a very beautiful place. It looks like it would be fun for hiking, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow..the roads are so narrow that I could hardly see them in the photo. :P

    If you have the time, do check out my another interpretation at http://www2.crizlai.com/2008/02/02/photo-hunters-narrow/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photo of the canyon. :) What a beautiful place. :) Lovely choice for this week's Hunt. :)

    Dragonheart & Merlin

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Canyon looks nice. I think I'll turn 1/2 jelly if I've gotta drive those narrow roads in the middle of the nite.
    Have a great weekend okiez!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Forgot to tell you--love your header!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been to Colorado once in my life, many years ago, and keep saying I'm going to get back. Love the photos, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a lovely photo of the canyon. I thought it was the one that appeared in one of Brad Pitt's movie. Oops... I forgot the name.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to travel that narrow road.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that's a great narrow indeed.

    happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful photo. I would love to visit Colorado some day Love the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We habe afew of those kinds of narrows around here - more picturesque than my take.
    Thanks for visiting.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW - a "whole-in-one"-posting!

    I enjoyed your MEMEs as well as the very "narrow" canyon shot, Anni!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Perfect photo for the narrow theme. Have a wonderful weekend!

    My narrow entry:
    http://thelifeandtimesofgran.blogspot.com/2008/02/photo-hunters-narrow.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. this photo and your story reminds me when i visit Grand Canyon 20 years ago!
    Tkank´s visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. my friend is dying to see those canyons and springs that's why she was so frustrated when her business trip to colorado there did not push through.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love places like that... we are always challenging our Jeep to go in rough and tough places... it's fun... great pictures!
    Rocky Mountain Retreat

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful place! And the story that went with it was very interesting.
    It was nice to see that you stopped by this morning! HOpe to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I remember Colorado and the streets looking like snakes from above. A beautiful landscape !
    I don't watch Prison Break anymore (Mr. Gattino still does) it was nice at the beginning but now it seems to me too long stretched and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your narrow shot is perfect! Happy Saturday and hunting to you...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great take on the theme! Glad you popped in to see my naughty little kitty!

    'Welcome to my World' reminds me of my parents who have both passed away. I think Jim Reeves sang it, too. Mum had all his albums.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can just imagine how awesome it must be to drive in the "Big Narrows"!! Being French, I knew right away what Cache La Poudre meant:-) I'm just surprised that they use a French name for a river in Colorado?

    I so enjoyed reading about your favourite song...I've always loved Eddy Arnold and still play his music to this day. I grew up with mom playing his music:-) It's no wonder you love the song, what a romantic story behind it!!

    I'm so glad you decided to do the meme about Four Things...you're so lucky to have been to the Hawaiian Islands twice, that's a place I would love to go. First I have to get over my fear of flying though! lol

    Take good care of yourself and have an absolutely wonderful weekend my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful photo, and works with the theme!

    I just noticed you and my middle daughter share a birthday! :)

    Aquarius rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is really a nice photo. Really picturesque !

    Happy weekend.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  38. It must be quite a fun adventure to go there. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful post, Annie. I loved that movie, too. Your post makes me want to watch it again. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Stop by the creek if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful pic! Re Colorado: Have spent some wonderful times in that state. Also, love "Centennial" -- both the TV mini-series and also the book that it's based on. (Incidentally, read the following during the one summer that I spent in Colorado doing archaeology!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. The scenery in Colorado is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It is very narrow road indeed mine is up too! It is also narrow tiny road measures 7 kilometers take alook at THIS LINK

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are so fun with your TV guide cover! Great take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  44. is a great story and a beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  45. that's really fantastic. i'd love to walk on that narrow road someday.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am pleased to be welcomed into your world Miss Hootin, I love Eddie Arnold, just so you know. Colorado is one of the few states I have not visited, now you made me want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anni,
    I enjoyed reading of your birthplace....awesome scenery.....

    I, too, like Eddie Arnold...he has such a smooth, mellow voice....and we could understand the words he sang...not like so many singers today...

    Thank you for visiting with me and commenting.....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Hooting Anni, This is such a nice Narrow, also great Country and its scenes, one place id like to visit, maybe one day.

    Thanks for visiting by blog and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  49. It's my dream to enjoy beautiful Colorado especially in the fall. I would like to see the Canyon too. Great shots and write-up to bring to the hunt.

    Mine is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  50. The Big Narrows Canyon look wonderful, Anni.

    Ok, you got me singing the song there which I use to hear in one of the LP in the Reader's Digest LP album collection of my parents :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love your Colorado mountain picture. My friend has pictures from there from when she visited her father and it is a beautiful place. Your story was a very good one too. Have a nice weekend. Happy Hunting~

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great shot of the narrow highway winding its way be the narrow river in the narrow gorge! :D

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anni,

    I came over for a second look at the Canyon photo. It is beautiful there. I have never been to Colorado, but would love to visit there. I've heard it is very beautiful and I love mountains.

    Thanks for commenting on my Black History Month post. I also enjoy reading the tales of the Underground Railroad. I will be posting about the Canadian section in a post later in the month.

    Take care and have a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  54. I enjoyed your memes.

    ReplyDelete
  55. It is for real actually--- I didn't know anything about them but someone to=
    day from the Phillipines said they are Mobile advertising???? I don't know

    ReplyDelete
  56. It's a very lovely place. Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Great shot for narrow. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love your interpretation of "narrow" - probably unique this week :) Really interesting too, for someone such as myself who has never been in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  59. nice place and fantastic catch! thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete
  60. Fascinating stuff, as usual. Big Narrows is obviously narrow!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I want to go too. That is a very nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  62. That is a beautiful place, I wish I can go there one day....Thanks for sharing....
    Mine is up too:
    Every Beat Of My Heart
    My Newphew's Scrap Place

    ReplyDelete
  63. It was a long post - you warned me. But I enjoyed every minute of it. The "narrow" picture is spectacular. Growing up in the Rocky Mountain area I've seen many similar spots. I thrill to each one.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful memory of "Welcome to My World." It is one that I've always enjoyed, though for no romantic reason.

    Here's my narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love your narrow canyon pic - it looks an interesting place. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Gorgeous shot! I lived in Denver for about 3 years, but those towns weren't familiar to me - I didn't spend much time in the mountains, actually, since it made me quite dizzy! There is something about those mountains though.

    Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi, there! I only have one kid in the photo.

    Thanks for sharing yourself in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I think you can reach the ground by sliding? That is real narrow and steep also.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wonderful picture for the Narrow theme. I think this is my first visit here, but I have seen you visit a lot of my friends. Enjoyed your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. An Eddie Arnold fan! Didn't know anybody else even remembered him but me. Lovely story.
    Beautiful photo of the canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  70. danielctw2/02/2008

    Didn't know where to find the comment post. Wow.. you've combined a few of them into a post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. Anni, I just have to say, your blog is endlessly entertaining. Love it! And your photo for the Photo Hunt couldn't be more perfect. Just gorgeous! Keep up the great work. ;o)

    My father-in-law sings for weddings, parties, occasional bar gigs and such, and "Welcome to My World" is one of his standards. It's a great song!

    ReplyDelete
  72. lolz... the scroll down was worth it :) nice trivia bits for your photohunt pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  73. That's a great photo. What a wonderful place to have grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  74. I recall some similar roads while traveling in Mexico, through the Sierra Madre. Great choice for this week's theme. Please stop by to visit me:

    http://casadejules.net/quepasa/?p=141

    ReplyDelete
  75. :) that's a whole lot of meme today!

    I really loved your photohunt. I'm looking at doing a cross country road trip in a couple of years (I'd HOPED to do it last year, but events conspired against me) and I'm looking for places to stop along the way and see things. Looks like the Big Narrows will be added to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Lovely scenery indeed!!! That Canyon is both beautiful and very interesting because of the gun powder history. How great to grow up in such beautiful surroundings!

    We tend to always be drawn either to mountains or oceans when we're out traveling :-)

    ReplyDelete

.