“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






FRIDAY'S SHOW N TELL below this!



---

The state of Texas is known for the breed of cattle; the Longhorns. Noted for the length of their horns, of course. Some can can reach the length of 120 inches I've read. Where the normal length would be 80 inches. I particularly like this sculpture of the Texas Longhorn Steer. It's a bronze work of art, and it sits outside the entrance of the local art museum. The breed AND this photo happens to be 'one of my phavorites', so I choose this for the week. To me it's like a sentinel, guarding us. And yet, still, at the same time, inviting us to witness some of the local Texas culture inside the doors. Tho, the breed is now ranched as a hybrid from the original [first cattle on the North American soil], it's still a kind that can thrive on the arid, dry ranchlands of Texas; the stock's longevity, resistance to disease and ability to thrive on marginal pastures astounds me; this farmer's granddaughter. Most now are just raised because of the connection to Texas's history.

Grab the header from my sidebar if you're participating.

7 comments :

  1. Karen I took the Phriday's link and meme and moved it here...I know you left a comment below. Guess it was confusing to others, so I decided to keep this separate.

    Hugs
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool picture! And great info! Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My three year old is infatuated with Texas Longhorns.....even though we live in Michigan! Guess our Texas vacation last year is still fresh in his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss living in Texas - at least sometimes. And I miss the longhorn breed - but as a Texas Aggie, it's tough for me to be a FAN of "the Longhorns!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni,
    A farmer in Southern Indiana has a herd of Longhorn Cattle. They are beautiful. I would like to join the Friday picture, but I do not own a camera. I think I will hint about one for Mother's Day. Have a great weekend.

    Love and Hug,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was neat! You have so much information! Were you a school teacher?? My whole family likes to read and take in information! If this makes us nerdy so be it!!! :) Hugs ,Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

.