my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Yesterday morning, when I got up and booted the computer....I left the room and about five minutes or so I went back in. As I was walking down the hallway, I knew something was amiss, 'cause the room remained darkened....no light emitting from the computer monitor.

To make a long story short, I tried and tried...when I pushed the power button on the hard drive...it would whirrrr, like normal...the Windows XP logo would light up on the monitor...then, boom...it was gone, and the hard drive was without power.

I'd get a message on the monitor when I rebooted...but not for long...not even long enough for me to read the entire thing...when the power was lost again on the hard drive.

I knew it wasn't the electricity because the lights were on, and the monitor remained on....what to do. I opened the hard drive, cleaned it...put it back together, and booted up...again, same thing, but shortly nothing!

'Long 'bout 6 a.m. I was ready to go to Wal Mart and get a new computer. As soon as hubby had his first cup of coffee...I was ready, waiting at the door. [I didn't want to go alone then, 'cause it was still dark...I can't be too careful with all the stabbings, shootings, robbings that go on, and me alone, at the car, trying to load a computer box in the car...uh-uh...no way by myself!]. Off we went. Within minutes we were back home, and I was ripping out all the old stuff.

Now, the sad part of all this, is all my graphics and documents for my genealogy are lost....still on the hard drive of the OLD computer. And the genealogy stuff, I had HUNDREDS of files! Hopefully, I can get into the old 'puter and get them off someday on a disk...or find someone that can help me get in there to get 'em.

I got the new computer hooked up, and booted up! Awesome. Only thing is, the screen resolution was so small....the whole shebang made me nauseated...way TOO big. rofl But once the new computer was hooked up ---I quickly came in to Blogger and posted what I had done the night before for Fun Monday.... ":::Phew:::, that was a close call. "

Still, some adjusting today and setting up my graphic program and GETTING Firefox Browser, etc, etc. etc. [I DON'T LIKE Internet Explorer!] And the new Windows Vista is going to take a lot of getting used to ----but all in all, even with the loss of some special documents/photos/homemade graphics, I think I'll be pleased once again real soon]

Of course!!! What did you think? First thing installed was my graphic program, and [oh by the way...my digital camera viewer software was for Windows XP only...so I had to go out on the net yesterday and find something compatible with Windows Vista!!! GEEZ] anyway----This morning, I had to make me a new computer wallpaper!! [the photo above] It says "Anni's Christmas Present!"

....."I'm still working on it all tho....will get back shortly in a day or two I hope------"

<><><>

I'm gonna try and visit a few bloggers this morning...but, if I don't get around to you, I want to thank everyone for their wishes and good vibes for me yesterday and getting back online!! You bloggers/friends, are ALL just super.

I saw this at Mary's Writing Nook, and did the quiz.

You Are a Traditional Christmas Tree

For a good Christmas, you don't have to re-invent the wheel.
You already have traditions, foods, and special things you bring out every year.



18 comments :

  1. Bless your heart! Glad atleast you were able to get a new one. Good luck getting everything together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nightmare...except for a clever geek like you! Hope you can get into your old computer one of these days to rescue your files!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Anni,
    I'm glad you got a new computer. I am thinking something is going to happen to mine any day now. If it does, well I am just without a computer. Finances won't allow me to get a new one for now. I love your wallpaper on your new computer. My computer is a Windows ME. It is very outdated and I have had it for 7 years now. I wouldn't mind having a Windows Vista. Sorry you lost all of your Geneology stuff. When you get everything on your new computer, you might want to save it all on a Floppy disk. That way you will have it should something happens. Hubby has a laptop that needs to be repaired. It's still under warranty for a little longer. We need to send it off for him to get it fixed. I still haven't learned how to do all this stuff here in blogland. Probably never will. LOL. I don't even like going to Wal-Marts during the day. I very seldom go because they are always moving things around and you have to stand in line forever to get checked out. And it's always too hot in there for me. LOL. Well, take care my friend and have a great Tuesday. I wish you much luck in getting everything set up on your new computer. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sO like me! If my computer breaks I want it replaced NOW as in YESTERDAY! And how come no matter how many times we go through this, we NEVER learn to BACK IT UP??? *singing* Tomorrow... Tomorrow... I'll back up... tomorrow... it's onnnnly a daaaaaay aaaaaaaway! :)

    Glad you're gettin' it squared away... Let me know about that Vista! THAT's what drives me nuts! Everytime ya HAVE to replace a computer, you HAVE to have a new system! No choices there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I had this happen once. It was my laptop that quit charging but anyway I thought I had lost an entire year of photos. Maybe what we did will work for you.

    They sell portable harddrives, in that same area of the store they have a container/skin/package that you can put your harddrive into and it makes it a portable drive (like a thumb drive) so you can access everything from your new computer.

    God I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't let me know and I'll see if I can find one on the internet to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    Don't kick yourself too bad for not backing things up. I had all of my family stories on a disc and one day I went to access the disc and it just wouldn't open. I phoned several computer places and they told me that once the disc give out, all of your data is lost. So, I scoured the books in my library and also some online venues and got some of them back. Many are lost forever.

    I love the new wallpaper that you made for your computer. I'm not sure about Vista. It took me a while to get used to XP.

    I'm so happy you're back online and thanks for participating in the Christmas Tree Quiz.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must be so annoying about your geneology stuff. You should be able to retrieve it - thought I don't know how to do it I have to say.

    Your blog looks lovely - all Christmassy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope you manage to retrieve your files. My daughter is having a similar problem as her hard drive failed and she had a lot stored that I'm not sure is backed up.
    I had problems trying to get into your comments yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had this same issue with an old desktop of mine...I bought a new one the next day and took the old one to a CPU fix it shop to fix and or retrieve the files on it. They fixed it and all my files were there and I transfered them to my new CPU. Love the new Wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of graphic program do you have Anni? I have Paint Shop and I need to learn it!! i am glad you were able to get a new puter. Do you think you are going to like VISTA? I have heard so many bad things about it. I am not sure that I want it. But may not have any other way!! hope your day is great..Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just reminded be to back up my stuff. I'm bad about it. Glad you're up and running again. I think I would rather cut off my right arm than go without my laptop. Oh, wait a minute, not my right arm.....It's my mouse hand. Oh, not the left arm either....I'm left-handed. Anyway, how about I lose some belly fat. LOL
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you are having computer problems, Anni. It seems every time I have to get a new one I always have problems getting it up and running right. It's such a hassle.

    I took your "What Christmas Tree Are You?" and I'm a Traditional Tree also.

    Good luck with your new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know how you feel with a computer dying with all your files on it. I hope you can regain your lost files.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a bad dream that was, huh! Best of luck to you my friend - yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can imagine the pain and hurt. At least you did not throw out the old one. If you lived close to me I could get you to a person who I believe could help you get everything off. I will pray you find someone to help. I plan to do the Christmas question and answer on my blog on Wed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the new 'puter! Our is slowly dying and I've been slowly transferring my quilting patterns to a DVD, and all our photos are also on Webshots, but there is more to go.

    A computer geek friend of mine hates VIsta and advised me to install XP on any new computer I get, and my DD is pushing me to get a MAC. Too many choices out there....

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH... Anni, What a nightmare to go through with computers... I need to learn how to back up my stuff on my computer?? Do you use a flash drive??I have a laptop computer with Vista and it is ok..I also use my desk computer which has XP.. So I have both..I always fear having my computer go dead.I hope you get all of your programs saved from the hard drive.. Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe you did it already but can't you put your things from the old computer to the new with a UBS stick ? that's what I do when I have to print something or for other things on Mr. Gattino's computer

    ReplyDelete

.