“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes








When reading a beloved poem, it is written - -
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you........."
~Quote Origin: Ella Wheeler-Wilcox
circa: 1883

<><><>

~FUN MONDAY

I love this idea of yours Peter! Peter is our host for this Monday and we're to share some of our favorite jokes or cartoon strips! Well, truth be known, I'm always clipping comics. The ones that really make me laugh, I save! I have two manila folders filled of clippings that I've saved over the years. And, yep, I go through them once in a while to have a day filled with laughter...I never tire of them.

Here are four I chose, it's kinda hard to really say they're my favorites 'cause I love each and every one I have saved:











- - -
The story behind the quote:

These lines begin "Solitude," first published in the Feb. 25, 1883, issue of the New York Sun. The author was Ella Wheeler, and the inspiration for the poem came to Miss Wheeler on a day in early February, when she was to attend the governor's inaugural ball in Madison, Wis. She was on a train, enroute to the celebration, when she noticed a young woman dressed in black sitting across the aisle from her. Since the woman was crying, Miss Wheeler sat next to her and sought to comfort her for the rest of the journey. When they arrived, the poet was so depressed that she wondered how she could possibly attend the scheduled festivities. Later on, with the incident behind her, Miss Wheeler prepared for the inaugural ball. As she looked at her own radiant face in the mirror, she suddenly recalled the sorrowful widow. It was at that moment that she wrote the opening lines of "Solitude":

Laugh, and the world laughs with you;

Weep, and you weep alone.

She sent the poem to the Sun and received $5 for her effort. In May, 1883, "Solitude" appeared in Miss Wheeler's book Poems of Passion. While most of the book was second-rate verse, it received much attention from the press, because readers assumed that Miss Wheeler, a single woman, had herself experienced all that she had written about. Consequently, she and her book were called "indecent," "shocking," and "disgraceful." (In actuality, Miss Wheeler was the daughter of a Wisconsin farmer, and her exposure to the "real" world was very limited.) Condemnation from the critics served only to spark the public's imagination, and the poetry book enjoyed great financial success. When Miss Wheeler married Robert Marius Wilcox, she prepared to step out of the limelight. However, in 1885 author John A. Joyce produced the second edition of his A Checkered Life, a book of personal reminiscences. At the end of the book was a collection of Joyce's poems, one of which was titled "Laugh and the World Laughs with You." The poem was, word for word, a reprint of "Solitude." Mrs. Wilcox immediately challenged Joyce to produce evidence of his authorship. And she offered to donate $5,000 to any reputable charity of Joyce's choosing-the sum to be given in his name-if he could prove that she was not the actual author of the poem. While no one else disputed the fact that Mrs. Wilcox had authored the poem, Joyce refused to abandon his claim. Throughout the rest of his life, he continued to reprint the poem as his own. Before he died in 1915, he had the first two lines of "Solitude" emblazoned on his tombstone in Oak Hill Cemetery in Washington, D.C. Ever since the poem was originally published in 1883, its opening lines have frequently been misquoted as "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; / Cry, and you cry alone."

©courtesy of Online Trivia-Library dot com


    "SOLITUDE"

    Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
    Weep, and you weep alone,
    For sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
    But has trouble enough of its own.
    Sing, and the hills will answer;
    Sigh, it is lost on the air,
    The echoes bound to a joyful sound,
    But shrink from voicing care.

    Rejoice, and men will seek you;
    Grieve, and they turn and go.
    They want full measure of all your pleasure,
    But they do not need your woe.
    Be glad, and your friends are many;
    Be sad, and you lose them all -
    There are none to decline your nectar'd wine,
    But alone you must drink life's gall.

    Feast, and your halls are crowded;
    Fast, and the world goes by.
    Succeed and give, and it helps you live,
    But no man can help you die.
    There is room in the halls of pleasure
    For a large and lordly train,
    But one by one we must all file on
    Through the narrow aisles of pain.




    Ella Wheeler-Wilcox
    1850-1919



Next week's host:




31 comments :

  1. Great cartoons Anni, thanks. also loved the story of Solitude, you may not have seen my other blog "Poetry Galore" its on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem but did not know the story behind it until now!! Thanks for posting this. Hope that your weekend was a good one!! ours was. Hubby has been home now for several days and I just love it!! But I know soon that everything will have to go back to work work and more work.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,
    I picked a great time to come visit you. I just love that poem...and isn't it true? We all have family or friends that love to whine..if they only knew how they keep us away!
    Cheers and best wishes to you & your family from cold Canada!
    I'm hoping the New Year brings you health, happiness and prosperity and a lot of good laughs along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni, I love this post and your comic strips. I think that I remember the I-fruit strip, and "Grimmy" is always a favorite. I use a "Grimmy" strip about gravity on one of the tests for my seventh grade science students. Thank you for the story about Ella Wheeler Wilcox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info about the poem, Anni. I did not know that. And the cartoons? Who can not love Grimmy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poem is so great. I don't know if I ever read it completely before. I can't believe that Joyce stole her poem. That's stupid. Even on his tombstone...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the cartoons and I've always liked the solitude poem and I had no idea about it's origin so that is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cartoons are great. so is the poem. a fine end to 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the cartoons!! What a great story behind the poem, too. It's cool to find out the history behind well known phrases and sayings. I loved to listen to Paul Harvey, he always told the other side of stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Anni,
    I just loved reading the cartoons you posted. They are just too cute. I can't believe you have so many cartoons put away. You are a wonderful lady and very smart and talented. I really admire you. "THANKS" for sharing the history behind the poem you shared. It's always nice to learn things about different stuff. I would like to wish you and yours a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" from our Family. I hope and pray that 2008 will be a great and wonderful year for you and yours. Take care my friend and have a great Monday. May God Bless You and Yours. Wanna come over tomorrow for some of my Southern Cookin'? LOL. You know you are more than welcome to.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.
    P.S. Just wanted you to know that in the short time I have known you, I have truly come to really like you and visiting with you. You always put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the poem! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not been over here in a while. I forgot how much I enjoy your blog. I love the poem and story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I really have to laugh, more about myself then the cartoons ! I read and read your poeme story and wondered were the joke was. I thought I probably have not enough humor to laugh about this story. And then it happens in Madison a place which I know so well because I was so often there visiting my aunt. Then finally not finding anything funny in your story I thought what should I write in the comment now ? "This story is sooo funny ??" Very good interpretation of the theme " ?? And then I saw that it wasn't part of Fun Monday !! Can you imagine how stupid I felt for a second and then now I am still laughing about myself !
    Happy New Year ! Pay attention not to get a hangover !! We celebrate just the two of us with a lot off little things to each during the whole evening, such as sushis, scampis, smoked salmon, different cheeses etc. and of course Champagne !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have just popped over from Laurie's blog and am very glad I did!
    Your comics were great - I laughed at myself over the zipper thing...so silly.
    However - your history of the poem and the entire printing of it have touched my heart - You know that place where pain sits and rules supreme. Thank you for that.

    A dear friend wrote - "Without the words - there is nothing".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked the funnies and loved the quote from the poem - how fitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am certain that Kaytabug will try to give me the iFruit for my birthday since I am a full fledged MAC LOVER!!! That one is hilarious!!! Thanks for the laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both the cartoons and the poem are wonderful. Thanks for the time you put into this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I especially love the spiked toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post filled with laughter!

    I love the first and the last comic strip most.... *giggles*

    Thanks for this wonderful year of 2007 and may 2008 be filled with laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really laughed with your choices for the coomic strips to end the year on a laugh instead of a tear....I want to tell you, my dear friend, how much I cherish our friendship and I love you, Happy New Years dear sweet Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved the comic strips! hehe I so enjoyed reading the story behind that quote...it's always interesting to learn where poets and writers get their ideas from!!

    New Year is a time for celebration of love, of life, of friendship. It's the time to thank God for wonderful friends, and to bring to their lives as much magic as they bring to ours...so here's celebrating our friendship and praying that its magic continues forever. Happy New Year to you and yours dear Anni! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. MOTHER GOOSE AND GRIMM?? OMG!! I hadn't seen one of these cartoons in years - they used to be one of my very favorites!

    And just like a man to try to steal credit for that poem! Great story - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a great post. I love how you put the first two lines at the top, and after the funnies, put the story behind the poem and the poem. I don't know if I have read the poem before, probably, but it is great to see the whole thing and story behind it. I liked your funnies also.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great post! i used to clip comic strips, but i haven't done it in a long time. i may have to wander down to the basement and see what i've kept over the years.

    happy monday! and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny comics anni! Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't know that about Solitude. Education!!

    okay. That fly one had to be the funniest.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your comics. And, the poem with the obvious copyright infringement is so interesting. Would that the courts would've backed her up!! I cannot believe they didn't do to him what the book world did to that student at Harvard last year!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Drat. That was me above. I keep having issues with the dual accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved the comics!! Very funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are hilarious!! Thanks for the laughs!! Have a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Entertaining as always and your header, while awesome, is freaking me out. Ahhh! :-) Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

.