my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out







...join us over at Kelli's "There is no place like home"!!

- - -




This is my mother's. Dated 1927. [If she were alive she'd be 97 in 2008]
It's her classmates' autographs.
It's really fun to sit and read these sometimes, high school kids were the
same back 80 years ago!!! They were the same when I was a teenager,
and I'm pretty sure that kids today can be similar in actions.

It's written:

Dear Friend -

"Ashes to Ashes
Dust to Dust
If it wasn't for men
Girls lips would rust"


and signed: Gerald Willis
circa: January 6, 1927

<><><>


Since I bowed out of Friday Feast for personal preference, I'm starting a new thing. It's going to be called "Friday's Fixin's" and it'll be anything from a recipe to a household hint that I've done in the past. My very first one will be a hint in the baking department. Of course some of you probably do this already, but I still want to share this little item:






- - -

Like this:



- - -


<><><>

I wanted to share with you this little known fact: [joke]
Not long ago and far away, Santa was getting ready for his annual trip...but there were problems everywhere. Four of his elves were sick, and the trainee elves did not produce the toys as fast as the regular ones so Santa was beginning to feel the pressure of being behind schedule. Then Mrs. Claus told Santa that her mom was coming to visit. This stressed Santa even more. When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give birth and two had jumped the fence and were out, heaven knows where. More Stress. Then when he began to load the sleigh, one of the boards cracked and the toy bag fell to the ground and scattered the toys. So, frustrated, Santa went into the house for a cup of coffee and a shot of whiskey. When he went to the cupboard, he found the elves had hidden the liquor and there was nothing to drink. In his frustration, he dropped the coffee pot and it broke into hundreds of little pieces all over the he kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found that mice had eaten the straw it was made from. Just then the doorbell rang and Santa cussed on his way to the door. He opened the door and there was a little angel with a great big Christmas tree. The angel said: "Where would you like to put this tree Santa?"

And that my friends, is how the little angel came to be on top of the Christmas tree.





<><><>

Here is the most adorable Meow-w-y Christmas Card around!! Drop by...if you have speakers...turn up the volume. It's all by P J's furbabies.



CLICK HERE!

Her blog is linked from the card "No Deep Thoughts"
Stop by and say hi to her and her kitties.
They'll all have a purrfect holiday 'cause you said gave them a 'howdy'!!!!


<><><>


Go figure!

Most all year the new movies that have been released to the theater were just not interesting enough for Bud and I to go view. Now, this week there are TWO being released on the same day?!!! Both of which we've been waiting to see?!! Why the same day? LOL

Just our luck.

Well, it'll be a coin toss to see which one we see first. But eventually I'm sure we'll see both at the theater.

It's been over a year since I read about Johnny Depp doing a musical. And that he actually does the vocal. Well now I say, this will be different. And the movie IS directed by Tim Burton. Those two in combination, Burton and Depp, always seem to turn out a pretty good show for us.




SWEENEY TODD -
"It's an impossible assignment, really, carried off with more-than-respectable panache. "
"Captain Sparrow has gone to the 'dark side'."

THE BOOK OF SECRETS
"...track down a top secret tome passed down from president to president called the Book of Secrets."
"What’s exciting about the ‘National Treasure’ movies is that you have to think to stay with it, and follow the clues."




27 comments :

  1. I would like to see the Book of Secrets. Hubby would probably like it too...but the one with Johnny Depp I will have to watch when it comes out on DVD by myself. He does not much like it when people are singing...I love it!! Oh well to each his own.
    I hope that you are having a good night tonight. We are off to our one and only Christmas party. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, After being up late last night I am still wide awake tonight!! You know Kelly just can't wait to see the new Book of Secrets!
    I like Nicholas Cage too!! I loved him in Guarding Tess. When ever it is on I watch it.
    My Mom was born in 1903 so your Mother and mine are around the same age...My Dad was born in 1902! He was a Swede!! Loved your post today! Love and Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Evening Anni,
    I loved the journal your Mother had. Isn't it nice to look at things from the past? I remember looking thru some of my Grandmother's things when she had died. I love the story of how the Angel got to be on top of the Christmas Tree. I can just imagine Santa's look when he seen the Angel tho. We haven't been to see a movie in the theater in a very long time. It is so expensive around here. There are 4 of us, so you can imagine. I remember one time we took the girls to go see the first Spider Man Movie. Hubby had told the girls we would eat supper from the concession stand at the theater. Well, with 4 it cost something like $30.00. By the time we bought food and popcorn and candy and soda's it was a little over $50.00. Needless to say, hubby said we would never eat supper at the theater again. Most of the time we just wait till the movies come out on DVD and then rent it or wait till they show it on t.v. I do think it's alot cheaper that way. LOL. I am so sorry about what I did this afternoon. That email was in my inbox. I didn't actually open it, it was like that. I just wasn't thinking. All I could think of was your post. I was laughing so hard and I just had to rush right over here and do that. I sure hope you will forgive me. I won't do it again. I promise. LOL. I will be posting much later than normal tomorrow. Hubby got in tonight and since the girls are out of school, I don't have to set any alarms. No alarms around here for 5 days. I'm just tickled Pink. LOL. We all will probably set up late and then sleep in during the day. I loved the tip about making cupcakes and stuff. I don't bake anyway, but it's always good to know just incase I decide to. LOL. Well, take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.
    Again, I'm sorry about earlier today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have smelled it, there is no feast this friday but I put up a menu in cartoons. Unfortunately I cannot participate in "Friday's Fixin's" as a retired woman I have enough from cooking, baking and other kitchen concerning things ! I had my share during 32 years ! Now my interests are not in the household anymore !

    You are right, school children will always be the same, I have such a book too and it is so funny when I see what my classmates wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure to have from your mom!!
    Love your new idea for Fridays and that's very clever of you with the muffins :)

    Have a very merry Xmas, I know you will ::wink::

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni,What a lovely treasure from your Mums School days..
    I use paper patty pan when ever I make small cakes But what a great Idea to leave one empty to make getting out of the oven easier .. "Merry Xmas"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni ~~ Loved your mother's autograph book and the Angel story.
    Thank you so much for your comments and good wishes for Christmas. I hope you and your family have wonderful
    time and that the New Year will be a good one. I am glad to have you as a friend too Annie and I will be back blogging again soon. Take care, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The autograph book from your mom is quite a treasure Anni! I love the greeting you included! Too funny. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to see both movies too, but can only guess we can do one or the other. Let you know which we see....like your tip and new thing for Friday's. I figure I will do at least 10 feasts and see where it goes from there.
    Anni have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that autograph book, but I love everything "old". I had a good chuckle with what Gerald wrote. I like the Friday's Fixin's idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the story about Santa, made me smile.
    I vote for National Treasure.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopping by to wish you a wonderful holiday...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my I love that autograph book! I remember having one or two of those when I was a kid, but of course they are long gone by now.

    Thanks for sharing...I so appreciate how you always stop to comment on my blog. It is such an encouragement:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you have your mom's autograph book!

    I like your tip/recipe idea too. I just always fill all the cups up and try not to touch them.

    On your other entry - You got some great deals on your Santas! Wow! And how fun to be in a secret swap. :)

    Sorry, I have trouble finding your comment sections. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the autograph book! I love things that show a little window into our loved ones' lives. And thanks for the hint!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful blog setting! I remember having a autograph book when I was a young child...wish I knew where it was......

    What a great hint about the empty space in the muffin tin...I'll look forward to other hints....

    Thank you for visiting with me....and Merry Christmas to you and those you hold dear.....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a special autograph book!

    Cute angel story, I can always get a chuckle when I visit your blog!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the autograph book! Must be fun to read all the comments. Great tree story!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful that you have your mom's autograph book from 1927! (That's the year my mom was born -80 yrs old!)
    It always surprises me a bit too to see that even though things have changes and been invented, people were very much the same no matter the era!

    A very Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How nice that you have your mother's autograph book! It would be interesting to read what her classmates said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a little treasure both from your mum and from her times. Lovely naughty comment!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun autograph book! I'd love to see something of my mom's like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! how fun to have that old book of your mothers. I love to read what ever they have written, because it sort of turns the clock back.

    Nice baking hint Anni! Great idea.

    That's funny, Depp is no favorite of mine, but I must admit that he is a good actor.

    Wanna come to my Christmasmarket?

    The Christmas Street Market at Hornstull in Stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni,

    Your Mom's autograph book is so special. I'm glad you have it. I have one that was mine packed away. I wonder if one of the boys will want it someday.

    I always enjoy visiting with you. I've just posted my Friday show and tell. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you have time to drop over.

    Merry Christmas, Anni. I'm so glad that we met. I wish that your heart and home is filled with the Light of Christmas.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cool old autograph book! What a wonderful treasure and neat memory of your mother!

    Merry Christmas! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a treasure of your mothers to have!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Next time I cook muffins or cupcakes I'm going to do THAT. What a damn good idea!!!

    I want to see Book of Secrets, too. I would go see the other one (love Depp), but it looks a little dark, and that makes my tummy hurt.

    Let us know how it was

    ReplyDelete

.