my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




About | Theme: LIGHT | Roll
Next week "Messy"

- - -

Being married to a naval guy, who's interests are still with ships, water, and exotic seaports of the world, our home decor is a majority of anything seaworthy. This light, that hangs over our mess tent dining table, is something that we've had in our home for years! The two times we've relocated since hubby's and my retirement, the house-selling contract has stipulated that the light fixture goes with us! Every time, when we have left a house behind us, the light is torn out of the ceiling from the one home to be re-wired and hung in our 'new' location. It's just a given! *shrug* Besides, I really like it myself!! In fact, I'm the one who found it for our living area. You see, as some of you know, I love to peruse the antique shops in the cities in which we've lived. Y'know the saying, some peoples' junk is another man's treasure! And this just caught my eye at one point, when walking up and down the aisles. It's brass, and the 'shade' sections are turtle shell. And the ship images are not decals. Well, when I bought it, believe it or not, there were webs, as in spider-webs and what looked like a spider nest inside the open socket area! And the brass was in dire need of being polished! I'm sure that our son was just a toddler, 'cause I remember my fear of him breaking something that day as I searched for the 'finds of the day' while shopping. So, it's been around for 30 years or more in our home. I paid a huge sum of $25.00 for it [back then, that amount was worth a heckuva lot more than today], and I remember hubby shaking his head at the concept of me buying something worthless. I blatantly told him that "I think an antique shop wouldn't be so bold as to sell me junk!" So, he went to work, cleaning it and putting new wiring through the chain and into the socket and through the ceiling plate. When he finished the new wiring project and I helped him wire the ceiling fixture wires --we boldly flipped the wall switch ready for the circuit breaker to go out! I was at the ready to flip the switch to off in a hurry if there was smoke coming out the wall! But, behold!! It worked. It was a soft illumination! And the light was shiny and beautiful! Hubby wouldn't part with it now to save his butt!! And for once in our lives, the light really 'fits in' with our decor and living area. In Colorado, where I bought it, there's snow nearly year 'round in the mountains. In Arizona, where we first moved for retirement, no water....just the beaches of sand everywhere you look! Now, in the coastal area of Texas...finally, the sea!! We've been offered in excess of $500.00 for it by a fellow who collects, but nope...we won't sell!!!

28 comments :

  1. What a great find. I always enjoy your stories and this was no exception. Perfect for the light theme. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to look at that light! Blessings on you by the sea....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,

    This is beautiful and a real treasure. It is worth more than $500. I'm glad you kept it. I love ships and the light is a beauty. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Merry Christmas to you and your hubby. I was hoping the mailman had paid you a visit.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good that you did not sell, Anni. Memories (and memorabilia) are priceless.

    Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

    Festival of Light

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! stunning photo,indeed you have a great picture... keep it up!!!

    here is mine:
    PhotoHunt1...
    PhotoHunt2...
    Happy Holidays c",)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely gorgeous! I wouldn't sell it either!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beauty... and I agree, I wouldn't sell it either :-) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have posted about this light before because i remember it!! I was wondering what people would use for this word. I was trying to think of something light as in NOT heavy!! But i am still not sure what I am going to do..Oh well..You did good though. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember these, too. They're lovely!

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful story of light. I hope you have many more years of enjoyment of your sefaring light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Evening Anni,
    I'm just getting back from doing my Christmas shopping for the girls. I'm glad it's done. I still have to get it all wrapped before they get home tomorrow afternoon. I love your light. It is just absolutely beautiful. And for you to pay only $25.00 for it and it is worth more than $500.00 for it now, that is a great bargain I should say. I wouldn't part with it either. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I did post today, but don't know if I will have time this weekend or not. I have so much to do and so little time to get it all done. I want to wish you and yours a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" from our Family. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.
    P.S. I'm going to be sleeping late the next several days also. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's wonderful that you found something you both love so much! :)

    My light pictures are up now too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a very unusual lamp, Anni, and it's just as well you take it with you when you move. Imagine leaving it in a house and the new owners threw it out after all that time and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm married to a Naval guy, too - well, he's out now but a 10 yr vet. Pretty lamp! Merry Christmas from Tennessee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, that is one special light fixture. Of course you take it with you. How could you leave it?
    Have a very merry Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It certainly is a very special lamp ! Fortunately I only moved 3 times in my whole life and the lamps I had didn't fit at all in our house so I had to buy new once but I didn't keep them for so long. My taste always changed over the years. You must have a lot of souvenirs with this lamp.
    If you have a lack of gift ideas I have some on my blog today !

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's beautiful, Have a happy weekend and a very happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great choice for light, Anni! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a lovely lamp shade. Most of the ones I see these days are so bland and generic. You were lucky to find something so unique. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    My PhotoHunt is up at Siani's Pot-Pourri.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the note you have of your mother's. What a precious treasure!!

    The light is great!! I've never had a seafaring theme, but I like it. If I ever live in someplace coastal...

    ReplyDelete
  22. just love antique store finds! Wishing you and yours all the best during this holiday season and in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks very familiar to a lamp from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! That light is really antique (= Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are some simply amazing shots. Love the design. Merry X'mas and a Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an interesting light! That would look great in a home library.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a lovely piece. I admire the hard work your hubby put into it to restore it.

    ReplyDelete

.