“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







below this meme




I've made a "Twelve Questions of Christmas" Meme. If you'd like to participate, and to get the questions, w/o my answers hornin' in on the list, I made it a bit 'easier' to copy and paste them to your blog... CLICK HERE


1. Christmas is _______________. [fill in the blank with ONE WORD]
Christmas is ENCHANTING!


2. In memories, what was the best part of your Christmases past?
I remember most with cherished memories, of Christmases past with a yearly tradition of having a whole day, from sun-up to sun-down being with family! The ENTIRE family. In one house! My folks had Christmas celebrations each and every year. The kids [13 and younger] would get gifts from everyone. The older children and we adults would draw names on Thanksgiving and have to buy just ONE gift. It was a blast, the decorations, the food, the games, and most of all being with family.


3. Was Santa ever good to you? [describe how and what]
My last visit from Santa was way back when. I got what I wanted. A Bride doll! I still have it. Thing is, I was smart [or would it be dumb?] enough to recognize the hand writing on the tag...and said so!! DANG! If only I'd kept my mouth shut, Santa would still be paying me visits!!

4. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or both?
Christmas morning....always and forever.

5. Is there something you make each and every year? [craft or recipe]
Soon, I'll have a huge, black, Santa's boot set out on the table. Each year for decades now, and it's constantly filled with Rice Krsipie Treats --over the brim. And everyone I know expects it to be kept filled all the time up until the decorations are taken down for the season. My Santa boot filled with these treats have been written about in my Christmas Cards received, phone calls, and kids coming through my door!!

6. What is your favorite five[5] Christmas songs/hymns?
Tops: Number 1 would be "Oh Holy Night". Number 2 would be "Christmas Eve in Sarajevo", Number 3 is "I'll Be Home for Christmas", 4 is "Do You Hear What I Hear?", and the 5th one would be "Believe" from Polar Express Movie.

7. Is there a new tradition for Christmas since your childhood days?
Trimming our Christmas tree on Thanksgiving Day while watching the annual Football Game. It used to be me and the kids...now that they're gone, it's hubby and me doing the decorating. It's a 'new' - old tradition. And one more thing: Polar Express is now our traditional Christmas Eve Movie to watch!!

8. Describe one of your Christmas trips. [whether it's across town or across country]
I don't recall ever traveling out of the city. It was always going to my folks house. And to describe the day it would go like this: The kids were up before daylight. We'd open gifts at home...and they'd rush to get dressed for Grandma's house! We'd load our car with gifts and food that I helped prepare for the huge get together over there....and while we were packing the car, getting ready to leave, we'd most likely get a call from my dad about 5 minutes or so before we left home....invariably! He'd wonder where we were...and what was taking us so long! I'd warm up the car [most likely we had tons of snow on the roads and COLD!]. We'd all get in the car, and back out our long driveway. If we were lucky, we'd make it to the road ---and slip slide all the way across town to mom and dad's home. And believe it or not, by 7:30 or 8:00 a lot of brothers and kids were there already! And they had to drive half way 'cross the state to get there!![my sister lived out of state] While unpacking the car, there would most likely be a snowball fight here and there!!

9. Do you have a special Christmas outfit to wear for the day?
I used to....a red velvet dress. But not anymore. The only thing out of the everyday clothes these days is my furry, red, Santa Hat. And, I wear it all day long.

10. Have YOU or any of your family members sat on Santa's lap?
Both my kids. I'll show you a picture---



Irene's 1st Christmas
1969



Erik's 1st Christmas
1972

11. What is/or will be on your Christmas tree this year?
Everything that has been on for years now...All red and white, santas and tinsel, icicles, and snowflakes and red ribbons.

12. Do you/or have you decorated your yard for Christmas?
Oh yes, white icicle lights off the eaves, tree and bushes lit up like Paris, wreaths, reindeer...lots of things, and usually different themes each year too...In Tucson one year, I remember that hubby and I worked very long hours on making a life-sized "Grinch". It was the talk of the neighborhood. Why even UPS delivery and USPS employees would stop by and say how they appreciated the Grinch!! [I guess I can understand their attitude...heavy mail volume, discourteous people, long hours....ya, maybe I'd be a 'bah-humbug' sorta carrier too, if I worked there during the holidays.] And one year it was a life-sized elven named Kris Kringle.



The Grinch [Tucson]



Another year...Santa & Reindeer [Tucson]

42 comments :

  1. Thanks for the awesome award! I'm gonna do the meme too. :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, you really do like playing with your template don't you!? I'm actually here for FunMon, so I'll come back later to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna be over shortly to read your answers. Glad you liked the award too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni I love this! It brought back so many memories!!! The pictures are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read the questions I asked myself to do or not to do ? My Christmasses have been completely different and I am really not a model to show. But on the other hand I could write about our traditions so different from the American once. Christmas is a very sober feast in Germany, in Belgium it's mostly food and sometimes a family gathering (it depends) not much decoration and sometimes not even a Christmas tree. The only Christmas were it's no sober and besides the "holy night" there are other more funnier songs id in the UK. For when would you like this meme done ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome..Fun! I cant wait to participate a bit later

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hootin'Anni, thanks for the award and I will participate in your meme..it sounds like a lot of fun!

    Come visit me for Manic Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun meme! Will definitely do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anni, thanks for stopping by on my blogging site "Betty's This and That". You asked me to put a link on my site to the Over 50 Bloggers. I just wanted to tell you that I've been blogging for only about three weeks and am still learning. I love your site. You are so creative. I really don't know how to put a link on my site. I looked under your hints but still don't know how. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Also I've tried putting my Over 50 and Blogging sign in the middle or over to the side and not right under the heading. Haven't figured that out either. I have learned a lot so far, so please be patient with me. I'll figure these things out. In the meantime I hope you will visit my site again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, would you please take a look at my site and tell me if I added the link correctly so it will be easily accessed by visitors to my blog? Thanks, Anni

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you Christmas meme and sharing all about your Christmas's
    with us!! What fun to read this! Love and hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to do your meme. Thank you very much for the gift and the meme both! I am going to have to go search for pictures of my kids on Santa's lap. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, I got it but got more than I wanted. You can take a look and see what I'm talking about. I just wanted a link like you have on your site to where one could click on it and bring up everyone's name.

    Do I need to respond to your site or will you check in on my from time to time to see what I've done.

    Sorry, I'll learn one day. Thanks so much for helping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hootin' Anni, thanks for inviting me to participate in your Christmas meme. I have mine up at Work of the Poet christmas meme

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, take a look at my site. I finally did it - took some work on my part - but could not have done it without your help. Thanks again so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello dearest Anni:-) Always such a pleasure to catch up with your posts, you truly are a delight!! Thank you so much for the Holiday Award...I've been reallll good...honest! lol Just hope you don't see the sign I have on one of my walls saying "Santa, I can explain!" hehe!! I loved reading your answers to your meme...will definitely take part, as soon as I have a bit more time to concentrate on it:-) Polar Express...I saw it for the first time last year and I agree with you, it's one of the best holiday movies ever made. I bought the dvd and plan on watching it again nearer Christmas. Take care my dear!! Love ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just did the Christmas Meme and I had a lot of fun doing this and now I miss my Mom and Dad like crazy!!! This sure did bring back some wonderful memories!! Love and Hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    What a wonderful Christmas meme. I'm deciding whether or not to take part, but think maybe I will. I love all of your answers and this is a great way to get to know our blogging friends.

    I love your blog all decorated up for Christmas.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hootin' Anni, thank you for visiting us and giving us your special Holiday Award. That is very nice of you. We did the Christmas meme, it was fun. The countdown is on, isn't it?

    Purrs 'n headbutts,
    Mindy & Moe

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was fun reading all this tonight.

    Sorry-I'm too disorginized and stressed at this time to do the meme -but I enjoyed reading yours>

    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Anni, for the award. I like it a lot. Don't know how you do all these different things you have on your site. Can you believe I was able to post it on my site? I can't, ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anni

    I did your MeMe and put a link at the end to your blog. Is a MeMe called a MeMe because it makes you talk about yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Miz Hootin' Anni,

    I think this is the best meme I've seen this season!

    I saw Mary over at Mary's Writing Nook did hers and hopped over here to read yours.

    I'm liking the Santa hat idea as a new tradition for me...lol!

    I will do this meme, probably Thursday though, I will let ya know!

    Have a great day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni, I think your Altzenheimer is progressing ! I saw all the nicely put up links for the Christmas meme and you mentioned my name but you forgot to add my link, lol ! Or am I blind ?? We would then be a nice couple !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm going to do your meme Anni - but not until AT LEAST December 1st! But I haven't read your responses either -- or anyone else's - because I don't want to be influenced with answers... some of the questions could be swayed by what others say! So... I'll be BACK... after I do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the boot Idea. I wouldn't have the energy to keep up with it though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Filling out the Christmas Meme right now...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anni,
    I just posted my participation on your 12 questions meme:
    http://oakrisecottage.blogspot.com/2007/11/twelve-questions-of-christmas-meme.html

    Carrie @ Oak Rise Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni!

    Your blog is so beautiful!!

    I found your link at Oak Rise Cottage, Carrie's blog, and I posted your meme on my blog! :)

    Merry Christmas!:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I did your meme today...it was so much fun! Thanks!!

    http://gentleretreat.blogspot.com/2007/11/christmas-memedeck-blogs.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I played today. What a fun idea for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I posted my Christmas Meme answers. I couldn't find my Santa's lap pictures. If I do, I will add them later.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good mornin', Anni! Just wanted to let you know I played this morning... and now I want to drop by your house for some Rice Krispy Treats. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I did the meme
    http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/2007/12/annis-awesome-christmas-meme.html

    Loved your answers, want some rice krispy treats now too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Anni! I've got mine posted at http://punkysockmonkey.blogspot.com/

    I'm glad to share my Christmas with you.

    Speaking of Meme's, I found a quiz that's a lot of fun, if a little edgy. http://www.quizlee.com/scrooge. I guess I'm 27% Scrooge, but I'm not quite into the holiday spirit yet. Your Meme helped jog the Christmas memories so maybe I'll burst into song soon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved your pictures of what you put in your yard. I have posted my answers and here is my blog
    http://joyce-creationinprogress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great meme and gorgeous holiday blog template. I love your answers. I joined in this morning. -Margie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Anni! Great meme...mine is up too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was such a fun meme. Thanks for doing this! I loved the picture of your daughter with Santa. She looks like a little porcelein doll. Too cute! Love your blog too. Very Festive! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Hootin' Anni! I really enjoyed this one. Here's a link to mine

    http://katskrackerbox.wordpress.com/2007/12/19/12-questions-of-christmas-meme/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Hootin Anni, I posted on Friday's Feast {No feast Today} That I was going to join in on this meme. But I cann't figure how to put your link there. If you want head on over and drop it off, or maybe some one else can. This is a great meme! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Since there's no Friday Feast today, I'm doing your Christmas meme, along with a few others, over at my blog. Feel free to come visit. Merry Christmas to you & yours!

    Jennifer :-)

    ReplyDelete

.