“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







...join us over at Kelli's "There is no place like home"!!

<><><>

One of my all-time favorite novels is Gone With the Wind. It also happens to be a favorite classic movie. The idea of collecting anything happened one hot Sunday afternoon in October, while hubby was watching a football game, the kids and I were bored. So, we hopped in the car and went to the antique mall north of Denver. Well, I'm always fascinated in what they call antiques today. I was told at one time that an antique isn't an antique until it's at least 100 years old. Never the less, there was a collector's plate of Scarlett and Rhett for sale. I bought it, and it's taken off from there. Of course, as I said previously, I've been 'hooked on GWTW' for years!! I still have the plate, the collector's plate...moved from Colorado, to Arizona, to Texas!! *knock wood* Still all in one piece!! [image of plate on the wall, in the master bedroom below]
When we first retired in Arizona, hubby and I were walking the mall and there was this specialty shop of movie memorabilia. And I spied a couple of music boxes. Way over priced tho. I wasn't about to pay over $100.00 for a music box, GWTW item or not!! But I stayed and admired all that was in store there. Drooling over this, drooling over that. Hubby and I went to the bookstore afterward. I never got the music box out of my head. Then, one winter day, we returned to the area where the mall was located, with plans of seeing a movie that afternoon. To get some walking in before consumption of buttered popcorn, we walked the mall again. And the same store had a 'closing doors for good sale'....everything 50% off!! Yippee. I dashed in, and the music box wasn't to be seen. Anywhere! With me just about in tears with disappointment, hubby spotted it high up on another shelf. He went over to the cashier and asked her to get it down. I wanted to make sure the musical function worked. It plays Tara's Theme...and after checking it over with a fine toothed comb for nicks and scratches, with the lid opened...it pops up....WITH RHETT inside!! Oh lordy. If I would have known that, I pro'lly would have bought it way back when. You just can't put a price on Rhett....he's a treasure. *giggles* Not really, at least I don't think I'd spend that much on a music box. *shrug*

Here is the plate that started it all with me.
"No, I dont think I want to kiss you, although you need kissing badly, that's what's wrong with you... you should be kissed, and often, and by someone that knows how." "I've always loved you. But you've never given me a chance to show it."


A couple of numbered lithographs of two of my favorite scenes.








Now, hubby buys me Christmas tree ornaments with GWTW theme. This year, the newest editions are Rhett and Bonnie Blue, and the 2nd one is Scarlett with Rhett in jail...she's wearing her infamous 'drapery' gown!!! [all the ornaments have the hooks removed and the holes filled in....I know that's not the idea of the collection, but I want them on a shelf, not on a tree.] On the top book shelf, the ornament to the left is Rhett and Scarlett in her Red Dress she was made to wear to the party...in the middle, the ornament is the White and Black Dress she wore on their honeymoon...the ornament to the right is Rhett proposing to Scarlett in her Black Widow's Dress. Also, in the background with the novel of the old original cover design, is a coffee cup with Scarlett.


<><><>



Appetizer
When was the last time you visited a hospital?


Just a couple months ago....and I'm gonna return in about two weeks for a heart procedure.

Soup
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how ambitious are you?


Depends on the time o' day.....I'm usually quite ambitious early in the morning. That's when I like to get all my work done around the house. By 9PM or so, I begin to wear down, and I tend to stretch out and relax some. So, I really can't put a number on it...it depends.

Salad
Make a sentence using the letters of a body part. (Example: (mouth) My other ukelele tings healthily.)


Charles helped everyone save time. [chest] And, don't ask me what he did 'cause I dunno!!

Main Course
If you were to start a club, what would the subject matter be, and what would you name it?


Seems we've had this before at one time. First off the "club's" name. It'd have to have the name Sunshine in it. And it'd be for a group of women's interests.

Dessert
What color is the carpet/flooring in your home?


Yep, we've had this one before also. And my answer is still the same---Thick, plush and deep turquoise. [But it's more dirty now than when the question was asked before]

In fact, now that I think more deeply, these are leftovers from another feast, right? Is this a trick? Did I win some prize recognizing some of these? hehehehe


29 comments :

  1. Now THAT is a treasure! To be sure!
    How cool! And how coooooool that it WAS still there for you to get! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it,,, I have never been so intrested in hearing about a movie in my life. really... I have been stopin by just didnt' let ya know. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection.
    Have a good weekend..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless on your next hospital appointment!

    Love your feast! TY:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can just imagine your delight at finding this at 50% off and then Brett inside, too!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope your hospital trip will go well...hehehe, had a chuckle with your salad.
    wonderful feast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sunshine... that's cute. good feast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are neat. Years ago I found an old VHS set of the movie at a videa store on clearance for $5.00 and had to but it I think it a great move well ahead of its time. Thank you for sharing.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anni, What a wonderful treasure trove you have on GWTW, I loved the movie and have it on vhs,I must try putting it to disc,
    havagoodweekend (Aussie slang)
    .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Friday, Anni! And I love GWTW. I remember the first time I saw the movie. (I had read the book, of course, ages before). At the intermission, I went to the restroom and it was FULL of girls just sobbing their eyes out.. and I was right there with the best of them. I think I started crying when Scarlett's dad died and didn't stop til the end of the movie. I've never had another movie affect me the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!...That's a great movie and a great collection.I would say that music box was meant for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also love GWTW, but I don't have anything related to it but the books. I gave my mother the plate with Scarlett in her afternoon dress at the barbecue at the Wilkes plantation. It's gorgeous, and honestly, I hope I inherit it whenever (long from now, I hope) she dies.

    Thanks for stopping by and signing up for Fun Monday - shall I hazard a guess as to your piece of "art"?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is about the prettiest collectable I have ever seen for Gone With the Wind. A treasure for sure.

    Take care,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember going to see Gone With The Wind at the theatre when it was being shown again, back in the early 1970's and oh my word, how I fell for Clark Gable! After seeing the movie, I went to buy the book and still have it to this day:-) You have such a beautiful collection of GWTW memorabilia and that music box was certainly meant to come home with you:-) xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved that movie. I have seen lots of items that are collectible from it. I am glad you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scarlet I don't...anyway I love your collection. What a fun experience to remember the stories around their purchases. I remember well reading Gone With the Wind in high school. Read non stop till I finished it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was told that, too, in a Home Ec. class, that something had to be 100 years old to be an antique. But maybe someone's changed the definition in the meantime. :-)

    What a neat collection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful posts today! I love that Rhett pops out!
    I think Sunshine could be like the red hat club, but you wear bright yellow or orange scarves. Hats just don't look right on everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Rhett in the Box! How cool is that! I love GWTW too! Did you know there is a GWTW cookbook? I have one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great feast! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, why don't WE have those antique malls over here in Germany? Congratulation on your wonderful find!

    Best wishes from Germany,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have the same appetizer. Good luck on your next appointment.

    I LOVE GWTW! What great treasures you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You take care of yourself and best of luck with that heart procedure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the story behind the music box! Thanks for sharing your collection. Blessings to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck on your upcoming hospital visit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so neat!! What a deal on something you liked so much...just happened to be marked down. I love that book and movie too!!! That is a lovely collection keepsake.
    MIca

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice collection! GWTW book and movie are my favorites too! So glad you did get the music box - on sale!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is the coolest music box. Love GWTW too and your collection is great.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OH, I remember my older sisterslaying in bed and reading Gone with the wind - under the blanket with a flashlight because they were suppose to sleep.... but they couldn't stop reading... *giggles*

    ReplyDelete

.