my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




* *We're getting ready to spend the holiday with our son; traveling with him. We'll be back sometime early Tuesday I hope! I'll try and post some comments when we stop for the day [our son has a laptop that he doesn't leave home without], if I can't --to all USA bloggers, please have a safe holiday and enjoy. And to Melli...in case I'm not back home, ...celebrate the big 5 0 in style!!!


...join us over at Kelli's "There is no place like home"!!

<><><>
I'd like to show you this light fixture, and tell you it's 'history' with our family.

Being married to a naval guy, who's interests are still with ships, water, and exotic seaports of the world, our home decor is a majority of anything seaworthy. This light, that hangs over our mess tent dining table, is something that we've had in our home for years! The two times we've relocated since hubby's and my retirement, the house-selling contract has stipulated that the light fixture goes with us! Every time, when we have left a house behind us, the light is torn out of the ceiling from the one home to be re-wired and hung in our 'new' location. It's just a given! *shrug* Besides, I really like it myself!! In fact, I'm the one who found it for our living area. You see, as some of you know, I love to peruse the antique shops in the cities in which we've lived. Y'know the saying, some peoples' junk is another man's treasure! And this just caught my eye at one point, when walking up and down the aisles. It's brass, and the 'shade' sections are turtle shell. And the ship images are hand painted, not decals. Well, when I bought it, believe it or not, there were webs, as in spider-webs and what looked like a spider nest inside the open socket area! And the brass was in dire need of being polished! I'm sure that our son was just a toddler, 'cause I remember my fear of him breaking something that day as I searched for the 'finds of the day'. So, it's been around for 30 years or more in our home. I paid a huge sum of $25.00 for it [back then, that amount was worth a heckuva lot more than today], and I remember hubby shaking his head at the concept of me buying something worthless. I blatantly told him that "I think an antique shop wouldn't be so bold as to sell me junk!" So, he went to work, cleaning it and putting new wiring through the chain and into the socket and through the ceiling plate. When he finished the new wiring project and I helped him wire the ceiling fixture wires --we boldly flipped the wall switch ready for the circuit breaker to go out! I was at the ready to flip the switch to off in a hurry if there was smoke coming out the wall! But, behold!! It worked. It was a soft illumination! And the light was shiny and beautiful! Hubby wouldn't part with it now to save his butt!! And for once in our lives, the light really 'fits in' with our decor and living area. In Colorado, where I bought it, there's snow nearly year 'round in the mountains. In Arizona, where we first moved for retirement, no water....just the beaches of sand everywhere you look! Now, in the coastal area of Texas...finally, the sea!! We've been offered in excess of $500.00 for it by a fellow who collects, but nope...we won't sell!!!

<><><>

Appetizer
Who is the easiest person for you to talk to?

Tahoe and Winston. They're people, right?

Soup
If you could live in any ancient city during the height of the quality of its society and culture, which one would you choose?

More than likely, I'd wish to go back to the ancient city of Rome. During Julius Caesar's era. Watch chariot races. Perhaps live in a villa on a hilltop somewhere near the metropolis. Who knows, I may even be a knowledgeable slave who'd be indispensable to the upper crust residing on Palantine Hill!!

Salad
What is the most exciting event you’ve ever witnessed?

By far, it'd have to be events in outer space. Living in Arizona, away from the city's lights, we purchased a large telescope, and built a special screened in deck for observation. I would stay outdoors until 2 a.m. sometimes and watch meteor showers....and through the scope, I witnessed Saturn's rings. Also, I saw the space shuttle fly over...of course it was dark, and the light of the moon only glowed for a short time upon it to dimly shine against the capsule's frame...it glowed --lights galore flashing red and green. For a short time I could decipher the black nose of the ship! So many things in the world, it's hard to choose just one. But more than likely, it'd do with the world beyond what I think of as 'ordinary'. [we still have the telescope here in Texas, but we're surrounded by city lights, difficult to see the heavens clearly]

Main Course
If you were a celebrity, what would you do for a publicity stunt?

Dunno! I do know one thing I wouldn't do!! And that would be being pulled over by officers of the law while under the influence and scream derogatory remarks against any ethnic group!! That is demeaning and tho the headlines bring attention, and any household would have my name on their lips...I wouldn't feel good about myself and the stunt pulled from the overconsumption of liquor.


Dessert

What do you consider the ideal age to have a first child?

For me personally, the age would be between 20-25! I can't understand why women wait 'til nearly middle age. Ya, you're perhaps more settled and financially capable of raising a family AFTER a career...but I would think having a teenager at home when I'm in my 50's is not my cup of tea! Have 'em young, raise 'em, and get 'em out of the nest before you decide to quit working outside the home!! That way, you're able to travel, and enjoy middle age.


27 comments :

  1. Love your feast! Thanks for sharing all of those:)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a light fixture and a bathroom mirror that are NEVER left behind when we move and sell a house!!!

    Your light fixture is nice.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was sO different than how I expected you to answer today's feast. It's a gOOd one -- just different than what I came expecting! :) You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I've never seen one with ships!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your dessert because I feel the same way that you do about having children. I think people are messing up today!! But that is just my opinion and "I a Sticking to it"....
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really a pretty light...It probably wouldn't feel like home without it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Take care,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not depart with the light fixture....it is so unique......

    I've added to my Show and Tell today if you have time to return....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great feast! I'd love to see some meteor showers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your soup. It was a toss up between Athens and Rome for me. I chose Athens for the chariot races!! Great feast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, Very unusual light fitting, And im sure if it was mine I wouldn't leave it behind either.. Have a nice weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ships on your light fixture are great and it's great that you are finally by the sea! Blessings have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni,


    I just love that light fixture and I would never want to part with it either!

    And I agree with your last part of the feast...makes more sense to me to have your family young! lol- I did!:) Very young!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It a beautiful lamp! I can see why you take it with you when you move!
    Kelli
    P.s I think it's fine if you use your button right after mine. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a wonderful light fixture! How great that you saw beyond the mess it was in and took it home and your husband restored it!
    (Kind of like what the Lord does with us, right?) :)

    Your feast was fascinating! Loved the telescope stories!
    As for the ideal age of having children being between 20-25, I was way too immature to be a mom then! Yikes, that's very young. However, I probably wouldn't have chosen to wait as long as I did...35...but since I wasn't married until age 32, well, I wanted to do things the old-fashioned way and find Mr. Right first! ;)
    And the good part? I'm 44 and a lot of my contemporaries are lamenting the last of their children leaving the nest...wishing they could start all over. And I am right in the middle of it, my youngest only five. And I wouldn't have it any other way because it makes me feel SO young! :)

    The downside? My husband will be dealing with a lot of hormonal gals 5-10 years from now all at the same time, for different reasons! LOL

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you take the lamp with you to each new place! Also love that hubby is now just as fond of your lamp!! Blessings on your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is very lovely. I have never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the light fixture is greaat--unusual and so right for a seafarin' man's home! Thank you for sharing!

    You are definitely a "hoot!" I enjoyed visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with your dessert....Im 40 and will be done raising kids at 43..woohoo. Great feast:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved that sea light of yours! Maybe you should show us some more of your sea stuff...? I'm curious... *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed every course in your feast. I am with you on the dessert! How cool to see the space shuttle!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a neat lamp! I like nautical decorating, though I only have a little bit of it in one bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoyed your Show and Tell. I also like the tribute you made to Princess Diana!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your salad was so filling that I almost didn't make it through the rest of the feast! What a great job.
    Thanks for the spread.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great light fixture:) Have a safe Holiday!!

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  25. That truly is a beautiful light fixture and I can see why you don't want to part with it! Love the story behind it...nope, antique shops certainly wouldn't sell us junk!! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. The light fixture is great. I would think he WOULD like it. It is very manly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like your lampshade and the ship picture on it too.

    ReplyDelete

.