my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Amy says: "I have always enjoyed your reading your blog but this is by far the best post you have done".

Lately, tho I enjoy reading blogs in my daily visits, I have begun to think that there is a huge amount of blogs I have visited, that shows me one's own sorry attitude for the majority, and not enough posting of what is good about their life. I realize that blogs are like diaries, and each to their own style. And I'm not in any way condeming those blogs --people need them --for me, it's not going to be my style. Beginning now, I'm trying to steer clear of those who beg for sympathy of how rotten their life is. Yet, some are astoundingly beautiful blogs with the words of family, love and caring - the all important things in life instead of being torn apart by anger or woes. But it's those other blogs that show the selfishness of "I ache and I feel rotten, and I can't sleep, or my child has given everyone troubles"...etc. etc. etc. [And admittedly, I've been one of the latter at times, lately. I'm going to try to no longer dwell on the negatives, and accentuate the positives.]


I want to work at improving my blogging style. I want to give a little of myself with dignity and humor mixed in. Why dwell on the 'not so good' and ignore the 'best life has to offer'. There is a world-of-plenty right before my eyes. I just need to take the time to explore and enjoy!! And perhaps blog about it too. And, maybe not. Just drink in life.

I'm taking these five lessons of life to heart...I need to move over and share more of my good thoughts instead of dwelling on the bad or unhappy, or not so perfect times. There is so much good in life. The poster below is a great depiction of the beauty and wonderment of life I'm talking about. Yes, driftwood was once a tree now long gone, but life goes on; and after you see the photo, hours later you remember the ROSE not the driftwood, and the precious life of the rose blossom lingers in your mind!! The positive, not the negative. At least that's how I interpret the composition. Years ago, I wrote just that about the photo in an art class I took....





Five lessons to make you think about the way we treat people.

1 - First Important Lesson - Cleaning Lady.

During my second month of college, our professor
gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student
and had breezed through the questions until I read
the last one:

'What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?'

Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the
cleaning woman several times. She was tall,
dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name?

I handed in my paper, leaving the last question
blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if
the last question would count toward our quiz grade.

'Absolutely,' said the professor. 'In your careers,
you will meet many people. All are significant. They
deserve your attention and care, even if all you do
is smile and say 'hello.'

I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her
name was Dorothy.

2. - Second Important Lesson - Pickup in the Rain

One night, at 11:3 0 p.m., an older African American
woman was standing on the side of an Alabama highway
trying to endure a lashing rainstorm. Her car had
broken down and she desperately needed a rid e.
Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car.
A young white man stopped to help her, generally
unheard of in those conflict-filled 60s.. The man
took her to safety, helped her get assistance and
put her into a taxicab.

She seemed to be in a big hurry, but wrote down his
address and thanked him. Seven days went by and a
knock came on the man's door. To his surprise, a
giant console color TV was delivered to his home. A
special note was attached..

It read:
'Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway
the other night. The rain drenched not only my
clothes, but also my spirits. Then you came along.
Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying
husband's bedside just before he passed away... God
bless you for helping me and unselfishly serving
others.'

Sincerely, Mrs. Nat King Cole.

3 - Third Important Lesson - Always remember those who serve.

In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less,
a 10-year-old boy entered a hotel coffee shop and
sat at a table. A waitress put a glass of water in front of him.

'How much is an ice cream sundae?' he asked.

'Fifty cents,' replied the waitress.

The little boy pulled is hand out of his pocket and
studied the coins in it.

'Well, how much is a plain dish of ice cream?' he inquired.

By now more people were waiting for a table and the
waitress was growing impatient.

'Thirty-five cents,' she brusquely replied.

The little boy again counted his coins.
'I'll have the plain ice cream,' he said.

The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on
the table and walked away. The boy finished the ice
cream, paid the cashier and left. When the waitress
came back, she began to cry as she wiped down the
table. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish,
were two nickels and five pennies..

You see, he couldn't have the sundae, because he had
to have enough left to leave her a tip.


4 - Fourth Important Lesson. - The obstacle in Our Path.

In ancient times, a King had a boulder placed on a
roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if
anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the
king's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by
and simply walked around it. Many loudly blamed the
King for not keeping the roads clear, but none did
anything about getting the stone out of the way.

Then a peasant came along carrying a load of
vegetables. Upon approaching the boulder, the
peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the
stone to the side of the road. After much pushing
a nd straining, he finally succeeded. After the
peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed
a purse lying in the road where the boulder had
been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note
from the King indicating that the gold was for the
person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The
peasant learned what many of us never understand!

Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.


5 - Fifth Important Lesson - Giving When it Counts...

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a
hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who
was suffering from a rare & serious disease. Her only
chance of recovery appeared to be a blood
transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had
miracu lously survived the same disease and had
developed the antibodies needed to combat the
illness.. The doctor explained the situation to her
little brother, and asked the little boy if he would
be willing to give his blood to his sister.

I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a
deep breath and saying, 'Yes I'll do it if it will
save her.' As the transfusion progressed, he lay in
bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did,
seeing the color returning to her cheek. Then his
face grew pale and his smile faded.

He looked up at the doctor and asked with a
trembling voice, 'Will I start to die right away'.

Being young, the little boy had misunderstood the
doctor; he thought he was going to have to give his
sister all of his blood in order to save her.



'Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been
hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching.' Search and find the positives of life!!

NOW more than ever - Pass It On to others who share your life through reading your blog!!
[you're more than welcome to copy this and paste it on your blog to share lessons to all]

14 comments :

  1. I have always enjoyed your reading your blog but this is by far the best post you have done.Thanks for reminding me about a very important lesson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have always given us the bright and positive side of life in your blogs. I try to do that too in mine. Sometimes though when life does get hard (like when I lost my friend to cancer in July) I just had to share that. I was so down and had to let it out. When I write these things down it helps clear them out of my head. You have a great column or people would not be coming back.
    Great post today. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - as to lesson number one, I learned while still in school that if you want to get ahead, you need to know the names of the janitors/cleaning ladies, the security guards, the lunch ladies and the secretaries. More than that, you need to know them. These are the people who really have the power when you need it!

    In the business world, I've always made sure I introduce myself to the "little people" and chat with them - not only do you meet some nice people, but you never know when that will save your patootie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that you went deep inside yourself today ! The examples you listed we name "courtesy of the heart" in german i.e. you should treat a cleaning woman the same way you do with a general manager (roughly said).

    BTW you don't need to tell me that you are joking, lol I know it, I am not a person who takes everything seriously and you are completely right I must have the Peter Pan syndrome ! Never thought about it, but if you see my room or even the whole house there are stuffed cats, all kind of little decorations in cat form of course and I still enjoy to be a child. I think that comes from the fact when I was a child my father critizised me all the time for being childish ! So now as an adult I have to catch up ! But I think you too have a little Peter Pan inside when I think about your Grandma Maryss, hehehe !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to bed and sleep a little ! You are retired and you can sleep whenever you feel tired ! I don't look at the watch anymore, when I wake up at 4.30 am I get up, when I sleep till 9 it's Ok too. If I am sleeping at 1.30 am in front of my favourite crime TV show it's also OK. It took me a long time to listen to my body and do what it wanted ! Of course that's not possible when you work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved the last one with the little boy especially! We should all be so brave and giving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we should all try to remember the positive. :) We just get sucked into the negative.

    I hope I'm still a blog you'll come back to, even though I've been a BAD blogger this summer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina Great post.
    I try to remember the positive.but sometimes I think we all tend to slip backwards. But then I do find it helps to write things that trouble them. I know I have been there. But now I say take time to smell the roses and look on the bright side of life..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,


    Oh,my! What a great post!
    Thank you.


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your post! Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and good to remind us that is how to live. I always try to be pleasant to waitresses, and checkout persons etc. I have been on the receiving end and it is amazing how people treat you. In fact while working as a front desk clerk in a hotel I had one man start to treat me like I was dirt, so I told him to go away and when he spoke to me civilly I would help him but not before. He was shocked but it worked, he went and sat down for a while and then came back with a renewed attitude. However he did complain to my boss but she did not fire me as once she had been a front desk clerk too. Walking in another's shoes for a while is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post! I try to have a postive post each day! With a special needs daugther who has lupus sometimes it not as easy as other times!!But I try!!

    She knows the names of everybody we meet! No matter what kind of hats they wear! She say "Hello" to everybody, finds out their names and tells them EVERY thing under the sun!!! She sure keeps this family humble!!

    When she had her chemo she had everyone comming to her room! From the CEO of the hospital on down to just about everybody!

    Robin, Nancy's chemo nurse would laugh and say, Nancy in the House!! Who will come and see her today! and Nancy is just as nice to the housekeeper as she is to the CEO !! They all loved her!

    Ok, I think you have great posts!I must have missed the other ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anni, that is a wonderful post and thank you so much for reminding me about those qualities we need to nourish rather than dwelling the negative.

    Having said that, I alway find your blog positive. No, I would never call you a negative blogger at all.

    I think there is a difference when we have had a traumatic or upsetting event happen and we blog about it compared with "moaning" about things every day. We're always there for our friends during those shattering times, but I find that if a person is always bewailing their lot without doing anything about helping themselves, I'm outta there!

    Wonderful post, Anni and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't really noticed you being terribly negative on your blog... I think you're usually pretty upbeat... but I DO agree with you. I tend to stay AWAY from the negative blogs and spend my time visiting with the positive people! There's far too much negative stuff going on in the news and all around us for me to want to read more of it in my "leisure time" while blogging! Of course, to each there own - some people just like to rant! LOL! (i don't have to read it though!) :)

    ReplyDelete

.