my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds





Last night, I finished this book. I had read the beginnings of the book's first chapter online and was intrigued by the mystery of it all. Indeed there was mystery, and a slow growing relationship between the now assistant D A of Jackson, Gracie, and the upcoming Mayor of a small town, Kennedy.

The plot itself was pretty good. The suspense built up nicely. But....I believe the author let the readers down. There wasn't ENOUGH suspense or action. The 'love scenes' were 'common every day stuff'....nothing to build your hopes up and have a vision of a great love scene....why it was all just like "Scarlet, I'm gonna kiss you. I'm gonna kiss you like you've never been kissed before!" ----and that was it! Nothing vivid. Nothing to pique your imagination. And the same goes for the mystery plot that is entwined along with the love story! The author builds you up to some fantastic revelation of 'who dunnit' ---and then....you get the conclusion.....and you're left with "That's it?"....nothing more. Well, the two misfits end up in love and married ----only to stop there with a surprise ending. Yet, I felt that there was a whole bunch that could have been said. Ya, I know, it's to get you to buy the 2nd series....like the "Left Behind Series" popularity from a few years back. I read 4 of those....and the same thing from this one....just how LONG does it take to get a book and it's entire plot complete?!!! ONE book....write it, get us interested, and end it!!! In one book!!!

4 comments :

  1. LOL.. I'm the opposite, since I am character oriented. This means when I like characters I don't want to stop reading something with them in it, so most of the books I read are "at least" a Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like this is an author I should check closer. Thanks for the 'recommendation'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like stories that go on forever! Series are my favorites! If it's a good book, ONE is never enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like series books, but only the ones that complete a plot in one book, and then carry over an arching theme and the characters, but not the plot.

    I've read some pretty crappy books in the past month or so. There's a new Dresden Files book out today, so hopefully that one will be a good read. the others were, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

.