my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



A Book Meme

Perusing the blogs the other day, I found this interesting meme at A Work in Progress. With my love of books and reading, I thought I'd give it a try. It's not one of those 'tagging' memes, taggin' is not my style. I really enjoyed reading Ms. Torres' answers, and I feel a meme IS to voice your own opinions. Leaving comments about how you'd think isn't the point....the point is to do your OWN meme of the same to get your ideas and feelings across blogland --So, I wanted to give it a 'whirl'----------

Here goes:

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? To be honest with you and myself, ANY book is good enough for me. As long as they hold my interest.

Amazon or brick and mortar? Now, I guess I'm really a novice here. I've not heard of brick and mortar except for construction. And the only time I go through Amazon is when my son choses to offer to get me a book....so, I would really have to say neither.And I really don't care to know about the latter two.......Except if you're offering to build me a seaside mansion ---right on the cliffs of Dover, England!! Then, I would definitely choose the brick AND mortar.

added 3PM --now I get it....at least I think --
If you mean walking/shopping....why not? I walk daily, it's good for me. I just never heard the expression. Am I close in my assumptions?

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Oh wow, ya know, I really miss Borders. When we lived in Colorado and then in Arizona, we had Borders stores. Here in our little city, the only choices of bookstores are Waldens [which is a branch of Borders Books, but nothing like what I'm used to having] and Barnes and Noble. So, naturally I would pick B&N!! But here in Texas there are stores called Half Price Books. And you can get some great finds there, on any given day, if you're lucky enough to find what you're looking for. All at 'half price' the retail cost. Now, in Denver---ummmmm, I would have to let you in on a secret....my choice of choices here would be the Tattered Cover Bookstore.....6-7 stories in the bookstore. And I'm talking floor levels, not literature when I'm stating 'stories'.....it's like a book lovers wet dream!!! No, I'm serious. It is stupendous. And when we get to Houston, there are lots of small neighborhood bookstores that have great, unique books.

Bookmark or dogear? Never in a million years would I dream of dogearring a book's page. That would be like 'graffiti-izing' a stucco wall in comparison. Defacing. So, yes, a bookmark. I collect those right along with my book collection.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? Actually, I group my books by subject then....I alphabatize by title.

Keep, throw away, or sell? If they are excellent books of my choice, I definitely KEEP!! If they're mediocre reads, I usually trade.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
The dust jacket is not only protective of the binding, they're colorful and artful to me. I keep them.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
With!! Always.

Short story or novel?
Actually, the only good short stories are the classics from Poe or Dickens [for example] and the classical writers of days of yore. I tend to read novels. Usually novels based on historical interest. Novels that are good ---are usually fact based on some event in the past.

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
It would be same author. Most likely.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Nada, zilch, none, never. For me personally, I consider them to be fantasy writings for children's age. I'm sorry, some will disagree with me---I tried reading them and they were just childish for me. I'm not a reader of 'fantasy' or 'make believe' , children's type books. Tho I AM jealous of all the stuff kids of today have compared to what I had to read as a child. The number of books written for 'children' [childern meaning anywhere from 6 years of age to teenagers] is amazing these days. But to me, Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket are juvenile books. Now, if you'd be asking about movies, I have seen them in film, just to not be a 'dummy' on the subjects and/or having the opportunity to not know what the books contain. LOL Of course this is my thoughts, you can do the meme to share your ideas.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Even if I find myself dozing off in the middle of a chapter, I force myself to finish....complete a chapter. Always.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
Well, this sounds like it's leading into a Peanuts cartoon or something written by Snoopy, Charlie Brown's dog....or Cinderella? But if it's a metaphor, then, "the dark and stormy night' would keep me more inclined to continue turning pages. The other "once upon a time" would make me think it's too far fetched for the intrigue or notable content which would lie within.

Buy or Borrow?
I read at my own pace. And some books I tend to put back on our bookshelves in our library at home, to re-read at another time. I don't recall that I've ever 'borrowed' a book from someone....I have been given books as a 'hand me down' after my sister has finished reading it ---or hubby. But they're always mine afterward. Oh ya....wait a minute, I have 'borrowed' books from a public library, but if they're good, I will hunt for them again at an used bookstore or buy them.

New or used?
Both. Actually, now some may think this is corny ---but I love the 'smell' of old books. And used bookstores. And I truly love the smell of a new book 'hot off the presses'.....so, be they old and used or new....I buy both!!

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
Sometimes, my preferences could be all the above. Recommendation would be the least, as I tend to not like other peoples' choices. I guess you'd say my buying choice would be 'browse' ---I can spend hours in a bookstore just perusing the shelves. And you'd most likely find me in the literature or biography sections. Yep, it'd be browse, I make my own choices most often. But I do find myself reading the book reviews in our local newspaper....yet, most are not of the subjects I'd prefer to read- -still, I read reviews.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
My preference would be 'tidy ending'....the last 'series' type books I read with cliffhanger endings were the "Left Behind" Series ---and after reading the 6th in the series, I got fed up with them. Now I find myself wanting a book with an ENDING. Afterall, just how long can you go writing and reading---to get the end of the world!?!!

Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading?
99% of the time, nighttime reading. If the book is a real page turner....I will read it during the day when my work around the house is done. Or if I'm lounging outdoors on a hot, humid, lazy day---I'll read then also.

Stand alone or series?
Again, stand alone most often. For reasons mentioned above.

Favorite series?
I don't have a favorite. Mainly 'cause I'm not a big fan of this type.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
I've mentioned this and recommended this to anyone who likes animals, history, a bit of comedy and all around entertainment of the mind....The Traveler by Richard Adams. A book through the eyes of Robert E. Lee's horse -about the civil war. Unique, interesting, and quite worthy. I've read it a couple of times. And lately, I've considered re-reading it once again. Excellent choice if you want my opinion.

Favorite books read last year?
I've been on a particular author this past year. She is a novelist. Writes about the era of King Henry VIII and his wives. I've finished reading the Virgin's Lover, The Queen's Fool and now I'm on her newest released in 2007 -- The Boleyn Inheritance. All written by Phillipa Gregory. [her personal home page]

Favorite books of all time?
So many! Of course, without delving into 'why' ---it's just because---Gone With the Wind. Also, as mentioned above, The Traveler. Then all of Gregory McGuire books...his adult books are more or less 'biographies' of fiction's most famous characters....like the Wicked Witch of the West --book, called "Wicked"---but I don't consider these "children's" fantasies....they ARE filled with adult language and plots. Robert Frost's Poetry, over and over. I grab my Shakespeare's complete works often. John Grisham's "The Client", among others of his ---but The Client I read in two days....I could not put that one down. The DaVinci Code. Americas Brutus [about John Wilkes Booth, the best of him that I've ever read], Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" --I gear a bit toward the true crime section to find anything new on the Jack the Ripper era also. I could go on............

[Maxine picture is courtesy of Hallmark Cards©---text added by me]

5 comments :

  1. I like Richard Adams. I read Watership Down and a few more of his. I never heard of the Traveler Book. Will check it out on Amazon my favorite online store, for a nice afternoon I like Boarders, they have coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni ~~ Great bok post and I loved
    your Yard video. Lovely, and you are so clever.
    Thanks for your comments, and I am glad that you enjoy the posts.
    Take care, Lone, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni, these are great questions - some things I have never thought about - I am not much of a meme doer usually... mind if I copy and answer?

    When I was working for a while as a trainer, we used to do the getting-to-know-each-other ona similar basis, with about a dozen people in each group, we would first ask everybody to submit a question, something they would like to know about the others - we got some fun questions, and some even funnier amswers!

    thanks again
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golleyyy, Ms. Anni!(to quote Gomer Pyle...) I am soooo stealing this from you! I love reading and books of all types. I loved some of your responses, especially about GWTW, the DaVinci Code (one of my most faves), ROBERT FROST - OH YEAH!!!, and just books in general.

    You and I must be kindred spirits!!

    I like the way you think/read...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm up for this one! Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

.