“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






PHOTO HUNT


Info Page - Join
This week's theme - MEMORY

This is long ---sorry!
("memory" photo is way below my reminiscing)


Within the last month of 2006, and now in 2007 (Denver, Colorado rec'd another foot of snow yesterday---on top of the 10 FEET that has drifted around the city), blizzard conditions in Colorado make me reminisce how it was there when I lived there. Winters could virtually make the highways and cities ghostly! The white blankets of snow, knee deep, would stop all activities. Buses, planes, school, highway closures, postal workers, government....all of it would come to a halt for days sometimes. You couldn't get out of your own yard, roads and highways were treacherous. Most times when hubby would clean our driveways after the huge storms so we could get out ---well, when at the end of the long hard job, and the driveways were cleared of snow completely...out beyond our property line to the county roads...along came the snow plows and the road crew would block us in once again. After about 5 years of fighting the deep mounds of chunked snow and ice they'd leave behind, I filed a complaint. The next year, and following years, the county road crews would plow the main road and they'd stop in front of our long driveway and clean the snow debris from blocking us in!!! Guess a complaint here and there helped!!

But! I leave with the most vivid memory yet. After my dear hubby and I decided we'd had enough of the long 6-9 month winters in the foothills, and worked with our accountant, we figured if we were going to retire...it wouldn't be in Colorado!! We both wanted warm, non-winter. We'd taken many-a-trips to Vegas and liked it. We considered Vegas. We liked our trips to Tucson. We had a lot of family in Texas at the time also. We never considered Florida where more than 30% of Americans retire, if not just for the winter months.

So, we ventured to take a long round about trip to look at properties. We were flying from Denver to Vegas, to Tucson, to San Antonio and back.

The trip was in January, 1994! January. Colorado. Snow. Blizzards!! Just days before we were to fly to Las Vegas, a horrendous storm moved in. Go figure! I was worried that there were gonna be closings. But the next day, two days before our flight...the sun came out. Warmed to about 35 degrees...warm for Colorado in January. A good deal melted, the highways were cleared and we drove into Denver to the airport.

Our flight was the first flight out for the early morning hours. Still frosty, but blue skies promising a wonderful trip...Vegas was chilly and threats of icy weather there too!!!....To make a long story end here....we had to wait to board, and then while seated, we had to wait for the plane to be de-iced!!!! I've never experienced that before....and it was scary!!! The runways were cleared but still snowy! I had bad visions of the take off!!!


(plane at airport being de-iced!!! before take-off, runways clear, but icy/snowy)

It's funny to think if I were a teenaged girl it wouldn't have phased me a bit. Ya know, invincible!!?! But as an adult with responsibilities, life and the treacherous situations bring on a whole new concept!!! We did make it. Ended up buying a home in Tucson. San Antonio property and the tax was too high for a retiree's income. But once we settled and found we could afford the Texas tax...we relocated to the beaches of the Gulf Coast. Here we stay. No MORE heavy snow!!!!

57 comments :

  1. ooops... that sounded like an experience that I'd want to be without. And I hate snow at anytime. Well, maybe I can allow it at xmas, but that's all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss snow. That experience sounds like a bit much at xmas time though. :)

    I played too!

    http://photogfrog.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great story to go with the picture! Now I AM a snowy person, but you know that already!
    Happy Saturday
    Mine's up too
    hugssssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! We aren't having any snow to speak of this year in Vermont! I think it's great on weekdays: I don't have to commute in mountain blizzards! But on weekends I realize that I miss it. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could live without snow...The beaches sound nice to me. Great story for a great picture.

    Take care,
    Connie
    My photo is up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your story and what a great memory to go along with the photo! Isn't it true when we are young we really think we are invincible and then with age we know better! You'd love it here in Florida!!! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand your feelings, as I am living in Colorado right now. Glad you like were you're at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I always thought it would be neat to live in Colorado. It always looked so beautiful with the snow-capped mountains and all that fresh air. But after spending most of my life living in the Northeast and having to endure some relatively horrible snowstorms over 50 years, I've reconsidered!

    That's why it's southwardho for this gal!! LOL...very nice post, though!

    Mine is up now too.

    Hugz!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to fly, but not when they have to de-ice the plane multiple times. It worrys me somehow.

    Great memory and mine is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is a memory. Another good reason not to fly! I do not like planes in any season! Hope you are getting warm sunshine where you are now!
    Thanks for sharing and for stopping by! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading your story. It must have been bittersweet living in a place with heavy snow. Glad you finally settled in a place that you love. Thanks for sharing your memories. Mine is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading your story. We have no snow right now and have only had one major snow storm this year. Glad you found a place to stay that you love. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great memory. You probably think I'm nuts but wish we had some of that snow here in VA. Haven't had any this winter!

    My photo is up on My Photo Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love snow...but you can have TOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so used to de-icing it doesn't phase me. I could certainly do without snow, but it's not going to happen any time soon. My husband is an army officer in the Canadian Forces, and there are no longer any army bases in the regions that have mild winters (southern British Columbia, Southern Ontario). I'm just delighted we haven't received any snow yet in Munich this year.

    Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm missing snow this winter...its been very mild here lately. Well, I 'm glad you are out and happy now in the sunny side.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with ya Anni! Snow is FUN when you're young -- but I could be quite happy without it ANYmore in my life! So far, *knock wood* we haven't had a flake in our forecast! We've got WAY above average temps going on! Praise be!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you! I would have been scared to death. That picture gives me goose bumps and not because it looks cold. My son loves the music on your blog by the way. He's sitting here chair dancing:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes! Very scary,indeed!

    Thanks for stopping by my photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess the folks that don't get much snow (like me ;~) love it and the folks that get it all hate it lol

    The Gulf Coast is one heck of a nice place to end up staying ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos and commentary. And I can SO relate to the memory of snow....left it all behind in Boston when we also moved to the Gulf coast...of Florida, that is.
    LOVED your VERY clever take on my name last week...lol "TERRIfic"....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hety I live in Texas on the Gulf Coast too :) Although I miss snow dearly, not the ice ...just the snow. Although I didn't get snow like you speak of when I lived in Ky... It was alot milder.

    Happy Hunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is amazing how fearless the young are. Sometimes I wish to regain that aspect of youth... sometimes not.
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what a wintery memory! Great picture and story :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hate plane flights :( i would have gotten out of the plane and gone home *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't think I'd have gotten on that plane- I'm a big chicken.
    We've been watching the news coverage of the snowstorms out west- I'll take our rain and mud any day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, what a coinkydence! I can relate to being de-iced in Denver! We'd gone out to visit the kids in Colorado Springs and were then going on for more visiting in CA.

    Heck, it might even have been the same time! Anyway, yes, sitting on that plan with that pink stuff rolling down the windows was disconcerting, to say the least!

    Glad you've settled in the warmth!

    My memory is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I grew up in Rochester, Ny and I remember snow banks above my head! It's great for kids, but I am so glad to live in So Cal away from the adult worries that come with snow covered roads and icy planes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been on more planes that have de-iced than not! and it is ALWAYS scary! I have been on one emergency landing, and pray I never EVER have to go through that again either! I'm pretty sick of the snow and hard winters here in Michigan too...in fact, John and I are talking, when our mom's are gone, so are we! We're looking at Henderson, NV...we would know 2 people in the whole state! lol...This has been a very mild winter this year, and it's been in the high 40's to low 50's. John is happy, he's gotten a chance to golf twice this week...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice Picuture and memory! Thanks for sharing!


    I will Exercise for Comments!
    Sunflower

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do love the snow! It's great. However, I don't have real responsibilities ie kids so i do see how it might make you much more worried about it.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am glad I live where it doesn't snow much. Here in SC we get maybe 1 or 2 days of snow -- just enough to play in, then it goes away. :)

    Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. No snow like that for me!! :-(

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm glad it all worked out! I admit snow is a hassle, but I'm secretly hoping for a big snowstorm.... this spring time weather we're having here in Toronto is un-natural! Happy Photohunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your story! I have often thought about places like that... So now you live in Gulf Coast Texas?

    And yes vegas can be a crazy place in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Maribeth1/06/2007

    No snow here in New Hampshire! Boooo-hoooo! I wanna ski!

    ReplyDelete
  37. A neat memory. Glad you didn't get snowed in there lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That was a great story and memory to share with us. I'm going back to Hawaii cause this north Texas country is to cold for me. I figure the older I get the colder it will be for me to handle. So come April, I'm a heading south again. :)

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That's quite the story!!

    Mine's up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, I LIVE that memory! LOL I am in Colorado Springs, CO and we have had our thrid blizzard in 3 weeks. My mom is in Hawaii right now and I am just SO envious of her!!

    PS. Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That was a great memory. It was nice of you to share it with us.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ouch... I'm not sure if I would've flown with that plane... A kind of scary memory you have here!
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great story!! What a memory!!!

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would've never made it very long there....I really hate snow...(and here I went and moved from the south to the burbs of Chicago--go figure! What some of us will do for love! lol)

    What a neat story though...and happy to hear you ended up somewhere beautiful and warm! I'm sure you still have fond memories of "home" though..

    I would've chickened out on that flight - seeing the plane being de-iced!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy Saturday -- I agree, no snow is best for me too. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow - I get the chills just looking at that picure - in more ways than one!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That was quite a memorable event and were certainly stick in your memory! Thanks for stopping by mine today.

    ReplyDelete
  48. My husband flew today----south of the Mason-Dixon, line, thank goodness! I'm a nervous flyer, in any instance, though!

    I'm in TX, too, and went on a great trip to South Padre this summer with gilfriends (to a teacher's conference). Great fun down there!

    ReplyDelete
  49. thank you for sharing this memory. I have to admit - I didn't mind flying when I was in my 20's - but now I don't like it a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a memory! Isn't funny how age and responsibility change things?

    I've only flown a few times and I'm not the greatest at it. I would have been pretty scared.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Now that is a memory... I love snow because there isn't any where I live so I don't have to deal with it, only on vacations but then I am having fun and somebody else is shoveling, lol!
    Nice to meet you. Thanks for your visit, come again :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great memories! De-icing a plane so it'll fly sounds scary to me.

    As I'm typing this, Pastormac and my girls are driving through the snow down out of Colorado and home to us.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Don't you miss the snow just a little bit? Great memory!

    ReplyDelete

.